2-Channel vs 4-Channel Mixer for DVS + Recommendation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default 2-Channel vs 4-Channel Mixer for DVS + Recommendation

Hello all,

I bought an S4 about two weeks ago to replace my Ecler Nuo 2.0 mixer to use with Traktor. This is my first time I am using Traktor, but I am not entirely comfortable with using the S4 as a mixer because I see it as more of a controller (which it is) and doesn't have the feel of a high-quality mixer.

Due to the fact that I have just started out with Traktor, I am looking for either a two-channel or four-channel mixer to replace the S4. At the moment I only have the need for a two-channel mixer as I have two decks which I will use with timecode, but as I familiarize myself with Traktor and discover more about the software, I may or may not have a need for four channels in the future.

I have since returned the S4 to the store and have narrowed my options to the following, but seeking advice:

1) A&H Xone: 4D
    2) Pioneer DJM-T1
    3) Pioneer DJM-909 (with Traktor Scratch A6)
    4) A&H Xone:92 (with Traktor Scratch A6)
    5) A&H Xone: DB2 (with Traktor Scratch A6)

This will be my home set-up and I don't require the equipment to be portable. Both the Xone:4D and DJM-T1 are Traktor Scratch certified. From now on I will only be using Traktor at home, which is why the DJM-T1 seems to be ideal, but I feel that I may be limited in the future due to its two channels.

I play mainly house music, and I don't need the four channels just yet as I am just familiarizing myself with Traktor.

I would appreciate any insight/advice. Thanks!

Dude I cannot say enough good things about my djm t1. It is just a quality piece of gear and the sound is amazing. The integration with
    traktor is unbelievable. They are almost impossible to find used, I guess everyone loves em so much!!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    Dude I cannot say enough good things about my djm t1. It is just a quality piece of gear and the sound is amazing. The integration with
    traktor is unbelievable. They are almost impossible to find used, I guess everyone loves em so much!!
    I've played with it in the store and I'm thinking about picking one up this weekend. I live in Shanghai at the moment and all the equipment is marked up more than what I would pay in the States, so all the mixers I mentioned are more or less in the same price range +/- $300.

I've read all the reviews and after seeing it first hand, there is no doubt that the DJM-T1 is a beast, but if I expand my set-up later I don't want to have to shell out another $1000+ for a new mixer. I've seen the DJM-T1 vs Z2 thread and after comparing both I like the feel of the T1 better than the Z2. Just wondering if I should get a Xone with four channels instead.

Tech Convert

Also, here are the list prices (US Dollars) that I received from the area distributor:

1) Pioneer DJM-T1 - $1200
    2) Pioneer DJM-909 - $1500
    3) Allen & Heath Xone 4D - $1450
    4) Allen & Heath Xone 92 - $1500
    5) Allen & Heath DB2 - $1200

The only reason I'm leaning towards the DJM-T1 and Xone 4D is because they're Traktor Scratch Certified.

What's the best value for money in this case?

If you're going two channel, Z2 or T1... I love my Z2, and I'm sure the T1 is perdy darn nice itself. I just like a few little things about the Z2 more so I went with it (Lit cue buttons, Deck C/D volume control, to me, just a sleeker layout, mind you, less buttons). If you're mainly in tune with 2-channel mixing I'd say grab one of those, then try out implementing remix decks into your set with decks C&D.
    Tre Tuna
    DJ and Recording and Mixing engineer for live and studio sound
    Traktor Pro 2.7.1 | MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4gigs ram
    Stanton STR8-150s | Ortofon Q-Bert Carts
    NI Z2, F1, Machine MK I, RigKontrol 3 | Dicers | PadKontrol

man i cant say enough good things about that ecler you ditched, i used to have one - pleasant sounding eq, a nice send/return, and those nice fat knobs you could twist with one finger firm on top.
    i ditched mine too, for a ddjsx, which while i enjoy as both a controller and a mixer - as a mixer it doesnt feel as good or sound as pleasant as the ecler. the eq curve on the ecler is just real pleasant, if i was going to buy another mixer id buy the ecler 4.0

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant View Post
    man i cant say enough good things about that ecler you ditched, i used to have one - pleasant sounding eq, a nice send/return, and those nice fat knobs you could twist with one finger firm on top.
    i ditched mine too, for a ddjsx, which while i enjoy as both a controller and a mixer - as a mixer it doesnt feel as good or sound as pleasant as the ecler. the eq curve on the ecler is just real pleasant, if i was going to buy another mixer id buy the ecler 4.0
    Yeah man, fully agree with you, Ecler makes top quality products.

The reason I sold is that I made the decision to go fully digital, but one thing that I can never see myself replace is the feel of a high-quality mixer for a controller. The S4 was great for what it was, and definitely one of the best controllers on the market.

Since I've decided to go fully digital, I want a mixer that is made for Traktor which, as I see it, limits me to either an A&H Xone:4D, Pioneer DJM-T1, or NI Z2. If I had to choose between the Z2 and the T1, I would pick the T1, but as I'm just familiarizing myself with Traktor, I don't know the true potential of the software.

I've never really used more than two channels in the past, I have maybe used 3-channels at most for convenience sake, but that's it. Since Traktor is a 4-channel DJ software, I'm wondering if 2-channels would limit me in the future.

Tech Guru

There's also the DJM850, DJM900, DN-X1600, and DN-X1700.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by roosg View Post
    Yeah man, fully agree with you, Ecler makes top quality products.

The reason I sold is that I made the decision to go fully digital, but one thing that I can never see myself replace is the feel of a high-quality mixer for a controller. The S4 was great for what it was, and definitely one of the best controllers on the market.

Since I've decided to go fully digital, I want a mixer that is made for Traktor which, as I see it, limits me to either an A&H Xone:4D, Pioneer DJM-T1, or NI Z2. If I had to choose between the Z2 and the T1, I would pick the T1, but as I'm just familiarizing myself with Traktor, I don't know the true potential of the software.

I've never really used more than two channels in the past, I have maybe used 3-channels at most for convenience sake, but that's it. Since Traktor is a 4-channel DJ software, I'm wondering if 2-channels would limit me in the future.
    have you considered the x1 in combination with a mixer? personally i prefer serato, and may switch back once i give their ipad app a go, but the x1 with a couple of TTs and a mixer is pretty solid - prefer that over any of traktor mixers or all in ones.

Tech Mentor

i have the s4 and feel the woes, bro.

but just wanted to add that it is perfectly easy to use 2 turntables in 4 deck mode in traktor. i use a quneo to switch which deck my turntables are controlling. i typically use 3 decks for tracks, and 1 remix deck that i use to cue up samples to scratch.

another consideration is if you have a 4 channel mixer that has midi capability or a good soundcard in built, then you can use that as an interface/controller for your DAW. I'm personally hoping to sidegrade to the dn x1600, as my budget is much, much smaller than yours

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast