Deckadance 2 users thoughts
    Tech Mentor

Default Deckadance 2 users thoughts

Just wondering what your thoughts are on Deckadance 2 - have you moved over from Traktor or Serato? How do you find the software, VST external FX use etc??

I am stuck, a little bored with Traktor and fancy a change and now can't decide between Serato DJ and Deckadance 2 so all thoughts greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Last edited by crumarbit; 07-24-2013 at 03:39 AM.

Tech Mentor

For those that read the post before my edit, apologies, my phone didn't put in the content, very strange!

I tried it ad it has some great features (some of them amazing or that do sound incredible): the grosspad concept, vst, fx macros, the whole editing feature on all those. But then you quickly come to a lot of limitations and 'issues'. I especially don't like the very limited midi mapping options (led feedback being a major pain in the ass rending almost all controller useless part if you like mixing with your eyes glued on the screen). Technically speaking it's under Traktor or Serato by miles. It's fun to try but I won't use it as my weapon of choice.
    Download the demo, that would be the best way to make yourself an idea.
    Likewise, download the One demo, worth a try too if you fancy a change.
    Last edited by Yul; 07-24-2013 at 10:14 AM.
    Latest mix

There’s also an almost hermetic community that exists in many areas of dance music, where serious hobbyists feed off each other’s expertise but barely connect to the industry – despite many of those involved actually working in it.

Plop, resurrecting my own answer.
    I'm currently having a second look at Deckadance 2.2, as they've added midi scripting that allows for led feedback. Now that's not the best concept to understand for me (you thought midi mapping in traktor was obscure? it's a piece of cake compared to that) but that makes sense to map a controller now to the software to make a proper test.
    It's funny as a lot of things you take for granted when using one software turn into small frustrations when trying another one. On the other hand I'm having a blast with the gross beat parameters and the vst support (HUUUUUUUUUUUGE!!). I'm fed up about syncing traktor and ableton on PC to get poor results if ableton is the slave to traktor (my main incentive here being Vst plugins anyway).

I'm using the traktor s4 as a controller, I set up the controller editor to have the correct midi messages, midi mapping the unit in deckdance while trying to think about the best layout for my objectives (all that within the s4's midi frame), trying different FX plugins that sound so different from Traktor ones. Having a look at smart knobs.
    Next steps would be to export the mapping as a midi script and trying there to add led feedback (that would be the most difficult part really and I'll probably come here for guidance and help).

The software is still globally technically way under Traktor and some obvious features are missing, erratic or just broken, but offers some refreshing aspects to explore.
    Latest mix

There’s also an almost hermetic community that exists in many areas of dance music, where serious hobbyists feed off each other’s expertise but barely connect to the industry – despite many of those involved actually working in it.