I need help please!

Default I need help please!

Hello. At the moment i have a hercules dj rmx and an akai mpd 26.

I am bored of the rmx and am so limited to it, wanting to move to traktor from vdj as well.

Anyway i have a ~$300 budget, and here is the thing. I want something very small, which I can bring to school to practice with in my lunch. I was thinking about the faderfox dj3, which has no soundcard and is expensive (270$) but is perfect, the behringer cmd mm1 (170$) which has no soundcard, or the xone k2 (350$) which has no crossfader, but has a soundcard. Does anyone happen to know any other controllers like these, i dont need jogwheels. to be honest i do not kno alot about djing, i just fade songs in and out, and would like to learn traktor as best as i can. I do not get why u need jogwheels besides scratching and forwarding and rewinding. Is there a purpose im not missing? Also if i do not have jogwheels how do i go back to a part of the song? I do not know what cues and cups are for, and i think i am djing completely wrong. Traktor also has no stop button; a button which returns u to the beginning of the song, but my hercules does. Also i do not know why some people dj without headphones and some with, i find it easier to use them but what about people that use launchpads and do like one hour mixes? how do they know? Should i buy an audio card or what? There is so much i dont understand and i know this is alot to answer but please help me.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IneedAlotofHelp View Post
    I do not get why u need jogwheels besides scratching and forwarding and rewinding. Is there a purpose im not missing?
    Controlling effects, browsing tree and list, seek position in track, advanced in/out looping etc...

Also if i do not have jogwheels how do i go back to a part of the song?
    Use hotcues to mark any important drop, break, vocal or pretty much any part of track you wish to jump to instantly.

I am bored of the rmx and am so limited to it, wanting to move to traktor from vdj as well.

Anyway i have a ~$300 budget, and here is the thing. I want something very small, which I can bring to school to practice with in my lunch. I was thinking about the faderfox dj3, which has no soundcard and is expensive (270$) but is perfect, the behringer cmd mm1 (170$) which has no soundcard, or the xone k2 (350$) which has no crossfader, but has a soundcard. Does anyone happen to know any other controllers like these, i dont need jogwheels. to be honest i do not kno alot about djing, i just fade songs in and out, and would like to learn traktor as best as i can. I do not get why u need jogwheels besides scratching and forwarding and rewinding. Is there a purpose im not missing? Also if i do not have jogwheels how do i go back to a part of the song? I do not know what cues and cups are for, and i think i am djing completely wrong. Traktor also has no stop button; a button which returns u to the beginning of the song, but my hercules does. Also i do not know why some people dj without headphones and some with, i find it easier to use them but what about people that use launchpads and do like one hour mixes? how do they know? Should i buy an audio card or what? There is so much i dont understand and i know this is alot to answer but please help me.

I would suggest you do some research before you invest $300

Banned

I dj without headphones because it comes 2nd nature to me.. been djing 10 years & I havent used them in a live show in probly 2 years.. I use them at home when rcording only because I dont want to be too loud at late hours of the night.. I have tons of gear & need to make room in my studio I think I can help out & be within your budget.. send me a message if interested

Banned

also, there is always vinyl & turntables (how I started) if you dont understand what to get

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

With everything you have said I disagree, the RMX is not limiting you in ANY way, you are doing that all by yourself by not researching what your equipment is capable of and what the basic functions of the software actually do.

You have far from outgrown the RMX IMHO, and compared to most other solutions is small (but heavy) - a bad workman blames his tools.

If you really feel you want to get rid of the wheels, and want something a bit lighter a Novation twitch would probably fit the bill or as you mentioned a K2 which has probably everything you need and more or even a Native Instruments Z1.

And you don't need a crossfader if you wont be scratching (I've DJ'd for 18 years without one)
    Last edited by deevey; 07-29-2013 at 08:14 AM.

The Novation Twitch does sound like it would fit the bill for you, if you did want to buy one I have one I can sell you?