Can anyone give advice on writing a letter/message asking for DJing spot/residency?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can anyone give advice on writing a letter/message asking for DJing spot/residency?

Hey guy, how's everyone?

If you haven't guessed already, the title basically says it all.
    A new club is in the build at the moment in my local town, well it's being rebuilt, taking the position of a previous club which closed down towards the start of the year. The new club is promoting itself (or so to speak) on Facebook and as there is no e-mail or contact details the only means of contact is via Message on their page.

The basic question I'm asking is what is the best say of asking/writing to the club? What points should I be saying or asking? What should I be stating about myself? Is it worth me asking about the club, seeing what kind of audience they are targeting or similar questions? Ask when the club is planning on opening? What order would be basic order of these points should I be putting these in?

A little about myself for those who don't know. I've been DJing 8 years since I was 14 and been playing small gigs in clubs in my town for 3 years. My main style of music is more Tech/Funk/Progressive House but can play a wide range of House music. (Urban style house is more popular in the local area) I have experience playing on a wide range equipment from Vinyl, CD and Digital. I've also have my regular twice monthly DJ mix which I post on SoundCloud. I've also worked in a nightclub bar a year or so ago so I know the basics of running of a club. I part work in a hotel bar as my current job. Studied Music Technology and Music Production for 3 years at college aswell.

I'm not shy, know how to present myself, just mainly ever spoken face-to-face with club owners and DJs about gig, never wrote a letter/message before, so any advice would be great, helpful and much appreciated.

Cheers guys,
    Kelsey B
    | HP Laptop | Traktor Pro | Denon DN-MC6000 | Akai MPD24 & LPD18 | Pioneer HDJ-1500 | AKG K181 | 2x Stanton C.324 |

Schalenberg

Honestly, I'd just show up in person and see if there's someone you can speak to. My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by nudedudewithattitude View Post
    Honestly, I'd just show up in person and see if there's someone you can speak to. My 2 cents.
    Fair enough, sounds like a plan. I've lucky got the whole week off work so will do that.
    Cheers for that

[edit: thinking about this might be a challenge as it's a construction site at the moment.]
    Last edited by Kelsey1B; 07-30-2013 at 07:56 AM.
    | HP Laptop | Traktor Pro | Denon DN-MC6000 | Akai MPD24 & LPD18 | Pioneer HDJ-1500 | AKG K181 | 2x Stanton C.324 |

Schalenberg

Can't hurt to try. Best of luck!

The best thing to do is tell them you are a promotor, and that you want to come and have a look around the club while it's being refurbed.

Might get you in teh door, and get some face time with (one of) the Manager(s).
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Default Give this a read.

yeah man, ya gotta be seen!! go there give em a mix cd. dont worry they will definitely lose the first one. So go back about a week later. check on the progress, give em another one.

The most important thing is.... GET PEOPLES NAMES!!!!

Example.... You go the first time, and talk to a girl named Jane. She is not the one who makes the decisions, but that doesn't matter. She says you really need to talk to Mike (manager) but he's not there at the moment. No problem, make some small talk, leave her with a mix cd and a card to give to Mike. Tell her you'll stop back by.

2 days later stop back by. Mike is not there, and neither is Jane, but a bar manager named Linda is. You tell her your a "friend" of Jane's and she told you to stop by and speak to Mike, but since he is not there you ask her when he will be by. Make at least 10 mins of small talk. Ask her stuff like how she got the job at this club, if she used to work at any other clubs (chances are she will say yes, *find out which ones)

Now on the third visit hopefully you get to speak to Mike. Tell him your a friend of Jane and Linda and they told you to stop by and talk to him about dj'ing there. (DON'T WORRY he is not going to cross check this. He has no reason to doubt you.) Give him another mix cd. Tell him you might stop by again to see how the renovations are going and to see if he liked the mix.

When you stop by again chances are pretty good you will see Jane or Linda, shout out a "Hey" and "Wow this place is really coming together"! It shows Mike that you already have a good rep with some of the employees (even if it just looks like that on the surface).

Let Mike know that the place is lookin pretty cool, and you think its gonna be pretty popular.

If he is in any way still uncertain about hiring you at this point. Tell him "hey listen, I understand, Let me do you a favor and play my first night for free... so you can kinda try me out, if you like me and everyone has fun, than keep me, if not.... well no harm done."

Your golden!

This is how I have got residencies for years, its all about knowing how to work people.

.......on a small side note.

If you play the first night, and the owner is not feeling it. Than go to those other clubs that that bar manager "Linda" said she used to work at. Let em know that you just dj'ed a night at "so and so" club and that Linda recommended that you come check out this place too to see if they needed a fresh dj. (DON'T WORRY they're not going to cross check that either) But now you have your foot in the door.

OK please understand this is just a hypothetical story, but if you understand the "principles" of what I'm talking about and you have the balls to give it a go. Than you can use it to your advantage. This is called "Social Engineering" and it works. Trust me

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    yeah man, ya gotta be seen!! go there give em a mix cd. dont worry they will definitely lose the first one. So go back about a week later. check on the progress, give em another one.

The most important thing is.... GET PEOPLES NAMES!!!!

Example.... You go the first time, and talk to a girl named Jane. She is not the one who makes the decisions, but that doesn't matter. She says you really need to talk to Mike (manager) but he's not there at the moment. No problem, make some small talk, leave her with a mix cd and a card to give to Mike. Tell her you'll stop back by.

2 days later stop back by. Mike is not there, and neither is Jane, but a bar manager named Linda is. You tell her your a "friend" of Jane's and she told you to stop by and speak to Mike, but since he is not there you ask her when he will be by. Make at least 10 mins of small talk. Ask her stuff like how she got the job at this club, if she used to work at any other clubs (chances are she will say yes, *find out which ones)

Now on the third visit hopefully you get to speak to Mike. Tell him your a friend of Jane and Linda and they told you to stop by and talk to him about dj'ing there. (DON'T WORRY he is not going to cross check this. He has no reason to doubt you.) Give him another mix cd. Tell him you might stop by again to see how the renovations are going and to see if he liked the mix.

When you stop by again chances are pretty good you will see Jane or Linda, shout out a "Hey" and "Wow this place is really coming together"! It shows Mike that you already have a good rep with some of the employees (even if it just looks like that on the surface).

Let Mike know that the place is lookin pretty cool, and you think its gonna be pretty popular.

If he is in any way still uncertain about hiring you at this point. Tell him "hey listen, I understand, Let me do you a favor and play my first night for free... so you can kinda try me out, if you like me and everyone has fun, than keep me, if not.... well no harm done."

Your golden!

This is how I have got residencies for years, its all about knowing how to work people.

.......on a small side note.

If you play the first night, and the owner is not feeling it. Than go to those other clubs that that bar manager "Linda" said she used to work at. Let em know that you just dj'ed a night at "so and so" club and that Linda recommended that you come check out this place too to see if they needed a fresh dj. (DON'T WORRY they're not going to cross check that either) But now you have your foot in the door.

OK please understand this is just a hypothetical story, but if you understand the "principles" of what I'm talking about and you have the balls to give it a go. Than you can use it to your advantage. This is called "Social Engineering" and it works. Trust me
    Not bad at all.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    Not bad at all.
    This. At its finest.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

That's one heck of post 031999

Don't think anyone could of asked for any better advice. I'm going into town tomorrow, so I'll stop by for sure.
    Is it worth me taking any CDs or what have you. I've got a few flyers of previous gig which have my name on them. As for business cards. I really don't have anything to hand.
    Anything written by hand would look so unprofessional (personal opinion).

Cheers!

Yes leave a mix cd the first time you go. It would be a good idea to get some cards man. Definitely don't bring any promotional material from other clubs or events. Unless asked for proof of gigs you have played. If the owner or promoter see some festival or club that took even 10 bucks of business away from him one time, subconsciously he will be turned off. Best to let your skills speak for themselves. If you have over like 200 Facebook friends, that live in your area, that's good. Tell the owner you could definitely bring a small crowd. Even if you can realisticly only bring 10 people tell him you can bring 30. Because if 30 people spend 25 bucks on drinks (not unrealistic) that's $750. Greed will get the better of him lol. It's ok to over market yourself just a little, But DON'T go overboard with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast