Mixing two tracks in different bpm without effects
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Mixing two tracks in different bpm without effects

I have a problem. I'm playing a house/disco/funk set here in two weeks. Problem is that some of the tracks I'm playing seems to be recorded by an orchestra thus having a fluctuating bpm. I seriously don't know how to mix from one to another without the use of efx AND make it sounds good. I'm gonna be using a cdj and a mixer with no effects. Any ideas?
    http://www.mixcloud.com/Olsgaard/
    House/Techno Dj from Denmark

Tech Guru

Don't have both highs at the same time, make quicker transitions, mix on breakdowns. Or just get tunes which are supposed to be played at clubs. :P

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Ride the Pitch fader for the duration of the mix and make your transitions faster than usual .. all that I can suggest really.

get ableton warp and re-record the track is about the only way, but if you are playing orchestral stuff you might need to just cut out sections and loop ones that work before piecing it back together.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Mentor

One of the tracks is this one

It doesn't sound instrumental, but the intro is impossible to keep in beat, without riding the pitch all the time ofc.

Buy it yourself and try. It's on juno. Sounds like a vinyl rip though, didn't know they were allowed to sell that.

And thanks for the tips. Gonna look into Abelton Warp, haven't heard of it before.
    http://www.mixcloud.com/Olsgaard/
    House/Techno Dj from Denmark

It doesn't maintain the bpm because it's played live not arranged on a computer... If I were you I would tap out the bpm at the start and finish and get the average, and just warp the mixing points as you will lose some of the life in the middle of the track by warping. It also means that warping will take 5-10 mins rather than an hour or so to place every marker. As a side note VDJ8 will have flexible beatgrids so that could be an option in the future, or the now discontinued m-audio torq offers flexible beatgrids as well.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    get ableton warp and re-record the track is about the only way, but if you are playing orchestral stuff you might need to just cut out sections and loop ones that work before piecing it back together.
    pretty much this. its a lot of work, but the end result will pay off
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Out of curiosity I threw it into Ableton and used autowarp (warp from here) and it stayed perfectly in beat for the entire track, except the track drops 1/2 beat at the first break.
    Last edited by deevey; 08-01-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Tech Mentor

There's nothing wrong with quick mixing stuff like this. It's not meant to be beatmatched. Just do it at the right time to keep the set flowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dohjo View Post
    One of the tracks is this one

It doesn't sound instrumental, but the intro is impossible to keep in beat, without riding the pitch all the time ofc.

Buy it yourself and try. It's on juno. Sounds like a vinyl rip though, didn't know they were allowed to sell that.

And thanks for the tips. Gonna look into Abelton Warp, haven't heard of it before.
    an easy way to do that, is just grab a 4 bar loop of that intro, then it will be much easier to keep in time. then just cue the vocal drop, and drop it when your ready.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast