z1 or s2

Thread: z1 or s2

Tech Wizard

Default z1 or s2

i've had a s2 for a while and it's nice, but i'm wondering if I should get a z1 to use with traktor on my ipod touch and eliminate the laptop. this would mainly be for school/house parties and it would be nice to be more portable and take the laptop out of the equation, since it's expensive and heavy. also, i could keep this stuff in my car or backpack in case someone wants to party on the spot.

the only problem i noticed with ios traktor is synch doesn't sync the tracks properly all the time, but the z1 would allow cuing to check this in advance. otherwise, mobile traktor is awesome and the best mobile dj app i've used! very user friendly and well thought out

please let me know what you think! i've got a 32 gb iPT that'd hold a fair amount of songs, i'd even consider selling the s2

ps... one other question, does anyone understand what the snowflake button does?

Quote Originally Posted by locksmith View Post
    i've had a s2 for a while and it's nice, but i'm wondering if I should get a z1 to use with traktor on my ipod touch and eliminate the laptop. this would mainly be for school/house parties and it would be nice to be more portable and take the laptop out of the equation, since it's expensive and heavy. also, i could keep this stuff in my car or backpack in case someone wants to party on the spot.

the only problem i noticed with ios traktor is synch doesn't sync the tracks properly all the time, but the z1 would allow cuing to check this in advance. otherwise, mobile traktor is awesome and the best mobile dj app i've used! very user friendly and well thought out

please let me know what you think! i've got a 32 gb iPT that'd hold a fair amount of songs, i'd even consider selling the s2

ps... one other question, does anyone understand what the snowflake button does?
    You need to grid your tracks in Traktor Pro beforehand if you're having issues with Traktor DJ's sync. The snowflake button is "Freeze", it freezes the waveform and lets you tap beats to manually trigger them on the iPod; like a badass cuepoint juggling feature which works physically off the waveform rather than predetermined cuepoints.

Got my Z1 today, although I won't be using it with iOS devices (I don't own any, aside from a ghetto iPod Touch which won't hold a charge), and it's badass. Solid build quality, REALLY nice tension on the knobs with a center detent on the filter just strong enough to catch after a quick knob flick, a loose crossfader (if that's your sort of thing), and stiff line faders.

Literally the ONLY complaint I have with the unit is that the line faders feel a bit "gritty" out of the box. I assume they're using friction against the carbon track to provide their stiffness rather than oil damping like some other manufacturers. It's not a major thing tbh considering the price of the Z1, and they'll probably smooth out over time. I'll probably end up replacing them at some point anyway with oil-damped units.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Tech Guru

As an ex-S4 owner, don't expect the faders to get any better.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB