What do the snap button and quantize button do? (S4)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default What do the snap button and quantize button do? (S4)

can someone pls give me a simple answer, if i turn them on i see no difference :S

Tech Guru
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Guru

Absolutely recommend you read that article that makar1 posted the link of, but in short, Snap drops cue points and loops right on the beatgrid without having to adjust, so that your cues and loops always fall on a beat. Quantize or the Q button when on, basically when your cue point juggling, it only allows the cue point to be played on beat, so if your timing is off, it will basically fix it for you. I don't think it really does much more then that. It's cool if your starting out and your timing isn t always right, but since it only allows a cue to play on beat, if you try and get creative and do off beat/rapid cue point juggling, it won't allow it.

Tech Wizard

thank u both, but even when i read the article about quantize i didnt really understand what it changed to my mix :S, what do u mean it locks the phase of all tracks?

Tech Guru
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8

Tech Guru

I never use it, but when I tried it out years ago, it never locked phase. I mean it could def have changed, or maybe I don't totally understand what they're trying to say either. Beatsync locks all phase of tracks that are synced........meaning you cant nudge any track off beat among other things.....all synced tracks beatgrid markers are locked together and pass thru the red play line at the same time at all times. That's what I would think that term would mean.

Tech Guru

The Quantize feature means you can only skip around the track in quantized units, which is the distance between two grid bars. Loops can only be an integer number of bars, and Traktor will match the phase of your tracks when using any of the cue functions.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    I never use it, but when I tried it out years ago, it never locked phase. I mean it could def have changed, or maybe I don't totally understand what they're trying to say either. Beatsync locks all phase of tracks that are synced........meaning you cant nudge any track off beat among other things.....all synced tracks beatgrid markers are locked together and pass thru the red play line at the same time at all times. That's what I would think that term would mean.
    thanx

Tech Wizard

Saw your other thread too - read the S4 and Traktor manuals in detail! Do youtube tutorials like ones from DJ Angelo, Dubspot, Ean Golden, etc. Read the DJTT articles. All the answers are there.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

They snap and quantize :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast