How do you "refresh" an iTunes playlist in Traktor?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do you "refresh" an iTunes playlist in Traktor?

I use iTunes to organize my music, and use the "import playlist" option in Traktor to ensure that all the metadata can be viewed. This saves the playlist in the "playlist" section of the director on the left side of Traktor.

...Problem is, whenever I add new songs to iTunes, it doesn't show up in this list unless I delete and redo the "import playlist" option. The problem with that, is that all of the songs I have beatgridded and "locked" don't appear "locked until I actually load it into a deck in the transport section. I used to just go through this process and load every track into deck A, and B, as fast as I could, using my mouse, but the more my library grows the more this becomes a pain.

Is there any way to just refresh the playlists so Traktor automatically recognizes the new tracks?

Right click on the iTunes icon on the left in the browser tree, then click "Refresh". Is that what you are talking about?

EDIT: I reread your post, and realize that you aren't asking as simple a question as I thought.
    Last edited by jdownesbaird; 08-02-2013 at 11:06 AM.

im kind of confused with your question.....

itunes playlist will refresh if you right click and refresh, then you import that track to your collection and it auto beatgrids... im losing you somewhere inbetween your explaination.
    I'm a fan of all things art. Music, film, photography, acting, dancing. Expression is powerful.
    www.twitter.com/mtlgrrr
    www.soundcloud.com/mtlgrrr
    www.facebook.com/mtlgrrr

I've been working around this for a while now - I ***THINK*** I may have a (kind of)solution.

You import your tracks into Traktors collection BEFORE you bring them into iTunes.

That way, you can play each track from the iTunes node in Traktors browser (which does update dynamically), BUT Traktor reads the info from the collection - so all of your Tempo, cue and loop info is loaded with the Track.

Not tested, and I may be completely wrong. But it's worth a try...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I've been working around this for a while now - I ***THINK*** I may have a (kind of)solution.

You import your tracks into Traktors collection BEFORE you bring them into iTunes.

That way, you can play each track from the iTunes node in Traktors browser (which does update dynamically), BUT Traktor reads the info from the collection - so all of your Tempo, cue and loop info is loaded with the Track.

Yeah, I load and set all cue points/analysis in Traktor before I import for the first time into iTunes... I've never had a problem doing it that way not sure what everyone else does.

Quote Originally Posted by djmetalgear View Post
    im kind of confused with your question.....

itunes playlist will refresh if you right click and refresh, then you import that track to your collection and it auto beatgrids... im losing you somewhere inbetween your explaination.
    I know, and it doesn't help that I'm probably not using the correct terminology either.

Let me see if I can explain in more detail.

When I get new tracks, they go right into iTunes, and I put them into various playlists (I have dozens). Then, when I open traktor, I go into the directory tree (don't know what it's called) on the left side of the user interface, and from the "iTunes" field, I find my playlist, and first right-click "Import to collection", then "import to playlist". This action then imports the playlist to the top of this navigation tree where it says "playlists". I do this because I saw someone on this forum say that this is the only way to get Traktor to save the BPM info as it can't be read directly from "iTunes" within Traktor. The problem is, whenever I put add new tracks to iTunes, it doesn't automatically refresh into this list. Deleting it and re-importing is no problem except that it doesn't show me which tracks are already beatgridded via the little "lock" icon, so it requires me to physically load every single track in order to get this info.

Is there another way? I've heard people say that they play directly from the "track collection" except I do mobile DJ'ing and the tracks I play at events only makes up a small amount of everything I have, so I don't want to waste time filtering through a bunch of tracks I don't need, this is why the "playlist" is optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post

Quote Originally Posted by tricks View Post
    Yeah, I load and set all cue points/analysis in Traktor before I import for the first time into iTunes... I've never had a problem doing it that way not sure what everyone else does.
    I'm not sure I follow.

How do you load them in traktor before loading them into iTunes if iTunes is what I use to organize my music?

This is what I do:

- Download tracks from my MP3 pool
    - Cut them from the "download" folder, and "paste" them into my "Music" folder which is the folder where all my music is housed and where iTunes is directed to
    - Add the track to iTunes, then put it the appropriate playlist(s)
    - Open tracktor, scroll down to iTunes, find the appropriate playlist, right-click on import to collection, then right-click on import playlist.

Quote Originally Posted by tokenasianguy View Post
    I'm not sure I follow.

How do you load them in traktor before loading them into iTunes if iTunes is what I use to organize my music?

This is what I do:

- Download tracks from my MP3 pool
    - Cut them from the "download" folder, and "paste" them into my "Music" folder which is the folder where all my music is housed and where iTunes is directed to
    - Open tracktor, scroll down to iTunes, find the appropriate playlist, right-click on import to collection, then right-click on import playlist.
    Make the traktor playlist into your music folder and import them first in to traktor to have them beatgridded.

Instead of you putting them in itunes first change that with traktor.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    Make the traktor playlist into your music folder and import them first in to traktor to have them beatgridded.

Instead of you putting them in itunes first change that with traktor.
    Just so I make sure I follow, after I download them, before cutting and pasting into my iTunes music folder, import them into Traktor? How do you import tracks into Traktor? Also, if I then move the files into my iTunes music folder, will that impact Traktor's ability to find them?

Quote Originally Posted by tokenasianguy View Post
    Just so I make sure I follow, after I download them, before cutting and pasting into my iTunes music folder, import them into Traktor? How do you import tracks into Traktor? Also, if I then move the files into my iTunes music folder, will that impact Traktor's ability to find them?
    "- Download tracks from my MP3 pool
    - Open tracktor, scroll down to iTunes, find the appropriate playlist, right-click on import to collection, then right-click on import playlist."

According to your post above your music folder is the same as your itunes folder. As it should be.

You have your music folder set up in traktor and click analyze.

All your music files should be in the same folder regardless, all itunes is doing is making a playlist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast