Midi through Soundcard or use Midi to USB convertor ?
    Tech Mentor

Default Midi through Soundcard or use Midi to USB convertor ?

Hi I looked endlessly for an answer to this question in this forum and Google and I cant find the answer.

I have a midi unit (DDM4000) that doent have USB. Instead it have standard midi (in out & thru) connection.

I have a Midi to USB convertor but my question is.....Is there any downside to connecting this unit to Traktor using the midi (in & out) from the back of my soundcard ? (I have a Audiofire2)

I was wondering what the verdict was regarding which way was better, or if there was a downfall to either.

I have 2 usb midi controllers running besides the DDM4000, so I would like to free up some bandwith and use the DDM through my soundcard......but im scared cause I have never routed through a soundcard before...

Anyone with the answer?

It will works just fine m8...dont worry

Tech Mentor

Default Midi to usb or ...

Thanks for that responce....but I was looking for more of a solid answer,

Anyone with some insight on this?

there is a guide to reducing midi latency and jitter, (i think by florian, creator of bomes) that if i recall correctly talks a little bit about this choice you have.

i believe if you were using a usb soundcard and wanted to use the midi on it, you would be increasing the possibility of latency and jitter over having the midi on seperate usb.

with a firewire card i wouldn't think this as a big of issue.

good luck.

either way with a powerful computer, i'm not sure if we are even talking about any noticeable difference, perhaps only measurable.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

It really shouldn't be an issue if you use the soundcard's midi in/outs. The amount of bandwidth necessary for midi is very, very minimal. Also adding a hub or another usb device might cause additional latency plus it's a pain in the ass with extra cables and such.
    3x sl-1200s, Rane Empath, KP3, Ineko, Serato SL1, TS-Pro, RP10s sub, Event TR8 monitors, Xiosynth, Nano Pad & Kontrol, VCI-100 1.3 djtt, 3x M44g, DT-770, Rp-DJ1200, 13" MBP 4GB 2.26 128GB Corsair P128 Solid State Drive.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Zero issues for me running Midi thru the Audio 8 or the Presonus Firebox.
    One is USB is FireWire. No problems.

Routing thru the soundcard is preferable to using a Hub imo.

The Audiofire2 is FireWire so i cant see you having any issues at all.