Keyboard for Production
    Tech Wizard

Default Keyboard for Production

So I am slowly moving into production as I have many ideas for song beats in my head. I am looking for beginner midi keyboards, but don't know much about them.

I know that i want at 25 key or 49 key keyboard, but nothing bigger. I also have a budget of $400. Any suggestions or advice would be great!

I also have a AKAI APC40 and a AKAI EIE IO PRO

You might be interested in a Roland A49. Pretty minimal design. I don't think you would need any additional faders, pads, or knobs since you already have an APC40

Less than a couple hundo

Dude, I started with an M-Audio Keystation 49e. Basic, $129 when it came out, got the job done. If you want a 49 key that is just that, I'd suggest this one.
    When we all make music, the God Spirit travels out of our bodies and we become one with each other. And for just a second, there is no war, greed, or hate in the world, just music, the celebration of life. (and usually a party, which is good too!)

I like Novation keyboards. I have not had a good experience with M-Audio and would not recommend any of their products.
    The SL mk2 is their top-of-the-line:
    Novation 25 SL mkii
    Then there's the Impulse:
    Novation Impulse 49
    Novation Impulse 25
    Then there's Launchkey, which is new and affordable.
    Novation Launchkey 49
    Novation Launchkey 25

There's also QuNexus from KMI, which is a little different, but very flexible, powerful, and a lot of fun.

Enjoy!

Tech Wizard

Yeah, I was looking at the Novation Impulse & Launchkey, Probably gonna go with one of those.
    Looks great as an intermediate keyboard. I used to play, years ago, but the notes are somewhere in my head so it shouldn't be that hard learning them again.

Thanks! I will post pictures of my updated studio
    http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=72156
    Once I get decide what to get!

Tech Guru

Hey Nitrotix I sent you a PM, I've got a Novation 49SL for sale. Could save you some money if you're interested.

With a 400$ budget wouldn't the akai49 MAX be a solid choice? I realize they are about $500 new but I'm sure they can be found cheaper. I have an M Audio49 Keystation (I got it for free) and an Akai49 (non max) and the Akai is a MUCH better unit albeit twice as expensive. Essentially you get what you pay for.
    MacPro 8 core 16GB • 22" Cinema HD • 17" MacBook PRO 4GB • 2x Technics 1200 mk2 • 2x Eurolite flight cases • Numark 4TRAK • Vestax PMC-07 Pro • NI Traktor Kontrol F1 • NI Traktor Pro 2.6 • Ableton 9 Suite • Akai MPK49 • MDR-V700DJ hps • AIAIAI TMA-1 Studio hps • 2x KRK Rokit6 monitors G2 • 2x JBL LSR4328P professional monitors • Arturia MINILAB • Focusrite Saffire PRO14 • Blue SPARK mic • MASCHINE 2 with 2.2 • 1 mill-e-on VSTs