Would you PAY artists to remix your tracks?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would you PAY artists to remix your tracks?

I'm debating whether it makes sense to pay bigger artists in your niche (anywhere between $100 - $400) to remix one of your tunes for your EP. I see it like this at the moment...

+ You would have the support of the artist/impressive resumé
    + Have some credible names on your EP to hype it
    + The artist would likely make a few posts and have whatever % of their fanbase hear about you
    + Could make getting onto other labels easier

- Potentially VERY expensive (minimum $200 for a 2-remix-EP)
    - Chance that the hype wont trickle down to your brand at all/waste of money

I'm not talking about getting Avicii or Skrillex to remix your tune of course.

Thoughts?

<disclaimer>purely talking out my ass as someone who doesn't have any tracks worth remixing</disclaimer>

If I wanted someone to remix my tracks and they agreed to, hell yes I would pay them for their work. But I would want to be talking to them in the first place because (a) I like what they would do with my track or (b) they like my track enough to want to do their thing with it. If the only reason I was talking to the person in the first place was because they were offering to remix tracks for a fee -- I'd pass.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Mentor

First of all, I think your price estimates are VERY optimistic...

Professionell mastering of you tracks will cost you about 50$/track, and that is just for the mastering engineer sitting down for anything between 15 and 60 minutes to lay the finishing touches on you track. I don't think many artists will be willing to work on a remix for several hours/days for just 100$ - 400$...

Regarding your pros/cons:

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMHJV View Post
    + You would have the support of the artist/impressive resumé
    + The artist would likely make a few posts and have whatever % of their fanbase hear about you
    I wouldn't count on the remixer promoting your record... If he gets paid just his fee and doesn't get a share of the sales revenue, he has no financial incentive to help you in generating sales.
    If neither you nor the label the track gets released on are well known and thus can't offer him any benefits for his own reputation, he doesn't have any incentive at all.

In fact, chances are, if it's just your self-released ep on bandcamp or your own newly founded net-label, it could be very hard to find any well known artist at all who is willing to remix your track and be associated with the project...

+ Have some credible names on your EP to hype it
    This is probably the most important reason to have a big name remix your tracks. Not only will it give credibility to your release, but also will the track appear in the "my beatport/traxsource/..." of everyone who's following that artist.

But I guess that is a step which is usually taken by the label to promote the latest addition to their roster, not the artist. Many big(ger) name artists will probably prefer to deal with pros (i.e. experienced label owners) anyways to make sure everthing runs smoothely and he doesn't face the risk of his reputation getting damaged due to bad/unprofessional promotion or other kinds of unprofessional behaviour..

If you have a solid label taking care of things, I guess the formular would be

(talented but unknown) new artist + reputable label + reputable remixer (maybe from the label's existing roster) = win-win-situation

Whereas if you don't I may look more like this:

(talented but unknown) new artist + unknown label + reputable remixer = ???

+ Could make getting onto other labels easier
    Depending on the success of the release...

- Potentially VERY expensive (minimum $200 for a 2-remix-EP)
    - Chance that the hype wont trickle down to your brand at all/waste of money
    As I said before, I think it could be even more expensive than you think..

The chances that the hype won't trickle down are obviously higher, if you don't know how to promote the release and the remix properly. Which is another good reason to leave it all to a professional label.

tl;dr

1. Having a reputable remixer on your record could really boost your sales and your career
    2. If you don't have anything to offer but money, finding a well known artist to remix your tracks could be pretty hard
    3. The amount of money you have to offer may be higher than you think; the less else you have to offer, the higher the amount
    4. Don't count on the remixer to promote the release, especially if he's just doing it for the remix fee
    5. Having a professional label involved can drastically increase the chance of success

It really has to do with a few things. You need to obviously have a good track to start out with, no one who is respectable is going to remix something that they don't think is good. Could depend on the genres at hand. If you approach a techno artist with an electro track to be remixed you are not going to get a remix. Some genres can crossover but most techno guys who are die hard techno are not going to step out of those lines. You can definitely get some good guys for under the $400 mark, but lots of times it depends on their work load. finally if you go to some people for remixes and hey don't make their own music you are usually getting hit with a double fee. The said "producer" needs to go to his ghost writer to make their track, so they end up tacking that fee on as well.

Do I think that is is effective for you to pay for a remix? It definitely can be worth it for you. If you have a good track you will get some more exposure out of it. If your track sucks it doesn't help in getting people to like your music, but your name will still get out there if the remix is good. If your track is good though then it could possibly help with the sales of your track...

It just a risk you need to take, unfortunately there is no set formula in this industry.

@LanceBlaise I agree on the genre crossing point you made. I'm a hard electro ('trash electro' as it's called) producer so a lot of my favourite artists aren't incredibly famous for example: Cyberpunkers, Toxic Avenger, F.O.O.L, La Musique D'Ordinateur, Gtronic, etc.

When I wrote the post I was thinking of hiring someone for a self-released project, exactly on bandcamp as @TCMuc mentioned (although I have worked with labels before). I came to the 300-400 figure from asking some of the above artists - one who mentioned they could do it for €300).

I guess any promotion or trickle-down exposure would have to be agreed on beforehand (ie. €300 to remix AND help promote for 1 week).

It isn't an issue of tune quality, just breaking through in that particular niche.

Any respectable artist who is doing a remix will promote it for you... I don't believe you would need to ask them or require them to promote their track.

Well, we had the great luck that the label had our two tracks remixed by pro musicians.

(Yes, the release is almost upon us)
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post
    Well, we had the great luck that the label had our two tracks remixed by pro musicians.

Definitely helps when you get people who are actual musicians to do a remix.

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post

Have a link to the originals?
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

I pay between 40-100 depending on the artist. THey dont receive payment untill I get a sample of the completed work.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast