Homemade MIDI Guitar controller

Default Homemade MIDI Guitar controller

Hi guys,

I know guitars, even MIDI guitars, are not really the main focus of interest here, but I thought I'd post a YouTube video about a new controller I made. It's not far off being a regular homemade MIDI controller except that it's sort of.. guitar shaped.

I wanted to post here because the information on this site about making your own controllers was what got me started on the project, and I'd like to say a huge thank you to the DJTT for the inspiration and information.

Anyways, let me know what you think

cool project, I drew some concepts a while ago you should try to make them a reality

midi slasher copy.jpgmidi slasher JOG copy.jpgmidislasher 80's edition - synthet1c new.jpg
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

synthet1c!

Mad props on those designs!!!!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Nice work Kaitain! Thanks for sharing. I really like the way you used the touch strips as a guitar fret (& fretless) board for notes, not just modulating Fx. Which really makes it an instrument, and not just an Ableton clip launcher.

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogo View Post
    Nice work Kaitain! Thanks for sharing. I really like the way you used the touch strips as a guitar fret (& fretless) board for notes, not just modulating Fx. Which really makes it an instrument, and not just an Ableton clip launcher.
    Thanks! What I was aiming for is to have something that was properly expressive, which the strips do a good job on. There is still a good many things I can do to improve that with the instrument as a whole, pressure sensitive "pluck" buttons for a start, and the MIDI footpedal i mention near the end of the video would really increase the expressiveness too. The nice thing about it being guitar shaped is that guitars are a really great performing instrument: you're stood up and the instrument is facing the audience, and also, people sort of understand how guitars work. I think it's nice to watch people play music when you know more or less how the sound is being generated/manipulated. Sometimes buttons and knobs style controllers can be a tad... arcane (from the audience's point of view). :-D
    Last edited by Kaitain; 08-08-2013 at 12:21 PM.

The one thing I would change (and you did mention it) is the arcade button placement. Instead of matching them to the "strings", I would match them to my hand/fingers when it is in a comfortable position. Also put them in a slight arch like Moldover's Mojo. image.jpg

I totally agree :-) I'll definitely do that for v2