Crackling/Distorting/Popping sound with KRK Rokit 8's !URGENT HELP NEEDED PLEASE !
    Tech Convert

Default Crackling/Distorting/Popping sound with KRK Rokit 8's !URGENT HELP NEEDED PLEASE !

So Ive owned a pair of KRK Rokit 8's for abut a year and 4 months. I bought them brand new, never dropped them or broken them. Until a few weeks ago Ive been noticing a slight pop/crackle/distortion sound every now and then when mixing (DJ'ing). They dont sound completley broken but they definitely dont sound 100 % when I first bought them.

I have the two KRK Rokit 8's plugged into the back of my Allen and Heath xone 42 mixer via balanced 1/4" XLR to Male cables. Then I have the mixer connected to my soundcard via gold plated RCA's. The soundcard is then connected to my Dell Intel Core i3 (4GB RAM 750 HD) laptop via USB. Im also using 2 Traktor Kontrol X1's that are connected to my laptop directly as well. Yes, I am running Traktor Pro 2.5 My monitors are sitting on isolators too to help out.

So my question is, why is this strange sound happening ?

- Could it be that my monitors are already broken and are no good ?
    - Could it be that Im not using a USB hub to connect the midi controllers and the soundcard which is drawing too much power from my laptop to handle ?
    - Could it be the positioning of my DJ equipment being too close to the monitors and not well placed in terms of dynamics
    - Could it be the size of the room (which is very small) and the fact that its not accoustically treated ?

i just need some light shed on this. And if they are cracked, which monitors do you reccommend for a small-medium size room in the 400-500 $/pair range ?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP I CAN GET. GREATLY APPRECIATED GUYS !

I would try and narrow it down more if you can. Does it happen if the monitors are connected to your soundcard directly? What soundcard is it, do you have the latest drivers? Using decent USB cables that are shielded? Does it happen with just the mixer connected and nothing else? Tried a different wall outlet for mains power?

Are you sure it's not problem with Traktor? Plug any audio input (CD player, ipod,..) into mixer and check.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

I'm from Sweden. I listen to music, I produce it and I play it for others.
    My artist name is Nightcall.
    MY SOUNDCLOUD: https://soundcloud.com/nightcallofficial
    MY YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/user/NightcallOfficial

Tech Convert

My monitors are plugged into the back of the Allen and Heat Xone 42 via the XLR outputs. The soundcard is Audio 8 DJ by Native Instuments and Im pretty sure I have the latest drivers. I dont know if my USB cables are shielded and I tried different outlets but that doesnt seem to fix it.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    I would try and narrow it down more if you can. Does it happen if the monitors are connected to your soundcard directly? What soundcard is it, do you have the latest drivers? Using decent USB cables that are shielded? Does it happen with just the mixer connected and nothing else? Tried a different wall outlet for mains power?
    My monitors are plugged into the back of the Allen and Heat Xone 42 via the XLR outputs. The soundcard is Audio 8 DJ by Native Instuments and Im pretty sure I have the latest drivers. I dont know if my USB cables are shielded and I tried different outlets but that doesnt seem to fix it.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by PjAndreasson View Post
    Thanks ! Ill have a look

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    Are you sure it's not problem with Traktor? Plug any audio input (CD player, ipod,..) into mixer and check.
    I have version 2.5 and I know that the latest is 2.6.3. Ill try upgrading it to that version to see if it helps but I dont think it will matter. Maybe there is too much power being drawn from the computer via USB MIDI controllers that are controlling Traktor. The software can perhaps start to skip and distort its audio as a result. I have yet to own a USB hub (sad, I know lol). Maybe that will do it

Quote Originally Posted by DaSilva View Post
    I have version 2.5 and I know that the latest is 2.6.3. Ill try upgrading it to that version to see if it helps but I dont think it will matter. Maybe there is too much power being drawn from the computer via USB MIDI controllers that are controlling Traktor. The software can perhaps start to skip and distort its audio as a result. I have yet to own a USB hub (sad, I know lol). Maybe that will do it
    No, don't upgrade yet. As I said, plug a external source (cd player, ipod) into your mixer and check for crackling/distorting. If there are none, you have a problem with software (latency probably).
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2