About different DJ setups at bars/clubs - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    Just to suggest something no one else has mentioned yet... take some time to really think if you are ready to start playing out. I know when I started, I never used the internet let alone own a computer. With that lack of information available to me, I still had a somewhat firm grasp on the equipment being used. Granted, there wasn't that much available either. The standard setup was a couple of 1200's and a rane/urei mixer. I'm not saying you aren't ready or aren't doing your part to find out about what's out there, but if you ask if you need to know this other stuff to play out without having a general understanding of the top tools which are considered standards, you may be putting the carriage in front of the horse.
    Take some more time to find out about exactly what type of equipment venues generally are using, and what types of venues are using which setups. Research some of it and find out about how it works/what it does. Then, once you have an understanding of the more popular DJ setups found at most clubs, you might be in a more suitable position to start playing out for people.
    Id have to agree. Going to a bar/club with a full set up booth without having ever used the gear doesn't sound like the best idea. See if you can can get some experience first.

Tech Guru

It's always good to know how to play on CDJs to kill any haters who say things like "you're not a real DJ" and the like. It's always best to ignore these people but sometimes you just have to put your money were your mouth is and play on their gear better than them. Bear in mind, CDJs are just independent glorified MIDI controllers. No amount of marketing and "industry standards" changes the fact it's electronic components playing an MP3.

You can easily get gigs with Traktor, lots of big names use it and lots of working DJs use it. But in reality, you could even create your own DJing software and use that because at the end of the day, song selection trumps every other aspect of DJing.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Bear in mind, CDJs are just independent glorified MIDI controllers. No amount of marketing and "industry standards" changes the fact it's electronic components playing an MP3.
    MIDI controllers do not play MP3s. That's the very difference between a controller and a CDJ. The CDJ actually contains electronic components.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    MIDI controllers do not play MP3s. That's the very difference between a controller and a CDJ. The CDJ actually contains electronic components.
    hence the "independent" part.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

DJTT #1 setup pimp 2012

If the club is well run, they should have a sound guy. Be sure to check with the sound guy before you touch any of the clubs gear. If you start mucking with cables leading to the amps and such, you could actually cause damage if you cause a pop in the system. Sometimes clubs will not want you to touch the main mixer, as the system (if it's a good one), will be tuned to sound best using their mixer.

It's best to know what you are getting involved in before you get there, so be sure to ask ahead. Be polite and professional, of course.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123