Vinyl Ripping Help! / Mac / Traktor / Audacity
    Tech Wizard

Default Vinyl Ripping Help! / Mac / Traktor / Audacity

Hi Guys/Gals,

This topic has probably been covered before, and i have ripped vinyl myself before, but i didn't achieve the results i was hoping for at the time and kinda gave up on it.

Now i am back on it again and have purchased some new toys. A macbook pro, A Stanton T.92 and a set of technics M5Gs.

I did try and make the jump with a Pioneer DDJ-SX, but i could not get along with it , so i sold it and purchased Traktor A10.

As you can see, i have made a few bad decisions and probably should have read a little more before making outlandish purchases. But Hey...

So my plan is to use my M5g's and spin the time-coded vinyl with purchased Wav/Mp3's and my vinyl rips.

So far i have not been very happy with the results i got from the Stanton USB turntable, and so i am hoping to use the M5g's and maybe the Traktor A10 sound card for best results.

I have been trying to do this in Audacity, and even though i have set the A10 as my main Input / output on my macbook preferences, I cannot use it as the input/output in Audacity.

I have scoured the net trying to find a way to use the A10 to do this, but i keep coming up empty handed. I know a little about this subject, but i am not overly technical, so if anybody can give me a step-by-step dummies guide, that would be great.

I don't mean to sound like a lemon, but I am ultimately trying to get a reproduction of my vinyl that sounds as good as it does when i play it normally.

The Stanton USB Turntable did not produce these results as closely as i would have liked, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mattalik.
    2 x CDJ2000 Nexus, 2x Technics 1210 M5G, 2 x Technics 1210 Mk2, Allen & Heath DB4, 15" Macbook Pro Retina, Traktor A10....And A Shitload Of Records!

Launch the A10 control panel and bump your input gains to +12dB. Maybe even +18dB but I found that it caused a lot of clipping. YMMV.

I will post step by step later, as I don't have my A8 hooked up right now, but I have had no problems ripping my vinyl using Audacity and my A8. You should setup all of your settings within Audacity. I don't recall having to adjust them in System Preferences.

In Audacity I have those options right under the Play/Pause/Stop buttons. Select the A10 as your input and which channels you have your turntables connected to. I am using version 2.0.3 of Audacity.

You will need to click on the microphone button and select "start monitoring" to see the input levels before you start recording.

Hope that helps.

Tech Guru

You may need to set Audacity to a 4-track recording (with turntable connected to In 3/4), as if you select 2-track it will only listen to the front MAIN inputs which do not have phono preamps.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Wizard

Thankyou guys, I will try what you have written asap. Thanks for the tips so far.
    2 x CDJ2000 Nexus, 2x Technics 1210 M5G, 2 x Technics 1210 Mk2, Allen & Heath DB4, 15" Macbook Pro Retina, Traktor A10....And A Shitload Of Records!

Sometimes its hard to be happy with vinyl rips. This is why many prefer vinyl to CD