Mixing Hip-Hop with House?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Mixing Hip-Hop with House?

First off I'd like to say that by no means am I a DJ, just someone who plops on the phones and listens while I'm letting the cash pile for some proper tables. Only thing that I can do right now really that I know of to "advance" this career is to keep on stockpiling songs in various Notepad folders that I can dig through later to pull out the good stuff.

I dig Hip-Hop and House a lot, two of my favorite genres for sure and I DEFINITELY plan on mixing the two together. My problem is, I don't see how I can go from Flylo to say Will Sparks or some shit without it all going to hell. Producers like Flylo, or at least Hip-Hop in general, do not follow that same pattern that dance music does.

So tell me guys, is this possible? Could I blend some Hiero with Hardwell?

that is quite hard since hip hop is in the 75-100 bpm range and house is between 115-135 bpm.
    there are several threads in the forums that talk about transitioning different bpms. make sure to use the search function.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Paris View Post
    that is quite hard since hip hop is in the 75-100 bpm range and house is between 115-135 bpm.
    there are several threads in the forums that talk about transitioning different bpms. make sure to use the search function.
    Damn the one thing that I tell people on boards that I frequent is to use the search and I just broke my own rule! But I'll look around, see what I can find. If I can't find a thing bro I hope you know that I will find you.

I've seen it done. Wolfgang Gartner was going hard with his electro stuff and then out of nowhere...BOOM!! "Hypnotize" by Biggie comes on and the place went insane!!! He basically looped a part of the two songs and starting and slowed down to the hip hop tempo and them dropped it perfectly...

Here is him at Electric Zoo last year coming out of "Hypnotize"...I was in that crowd and it was AWESOME!

Tech Convert

I do it all of the time, as long as you find the right way to transition.

I've got friends who do this by taking an "accapella" of a hiphop song and mix it with a house, techno or electro track using Abelton and mix it down. Essentially making their own mashup/re-edit.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Cutting is the easiest way to do it. Stuttering with the Cue works too. Filter switches, effect switches also work. Be creative and experiment

Tech Mentor

Wolfgang Gartner isn't actually mixing in Hypnotize live in that video, that's a pre-made track with the transition in already.

Whilst it's perfectly possible to do such things live, pre-made transitions can often be pretty dope.

When Harlem Shake was 'a thing', I mostly played the TJR mix, which starts at 128, goes to 140, then back to 128. That gave me the option to carry on mixing at house tempo afterwards, or switch up to 140 whilst that section was playing.

Some transition tracks are rubbish, you'd be better off doing it live, but there are a lot of gems out there. Check out places like Crooklyn Clan for good examples.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBarbs View Post
    I've seen it done. Wolfgang Gartner was going hard with his electro stuff and then out of nowhere...BOOM!! "Hypnotize" by Biggie comes on and the place went insane!!! He basically looped a part of the two songs and starting and slowed down to the hip hop tempo and them dropped it perfectly...

Here is him at Electric Zoo last year coming out of "Hypnotize"...I was in that crowd and it was AWESOME!
    Does anyone have more videos akin to this?

And thank you for the Crooklyn Clan link!

cut on the 1, echo freeze, find a trap remix then mix in the original song during the break or at an appropriate time. thats a few ways to do it. I'm not gonna give away all my secrets lol have fun man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast