NI Z1 + X1 MKII or CMD setup? What would you choose and why?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default NI Z1 + X1 MKII or CMD setup? What would you choose and why?

Just looking for some input. Really having a tough time deciding as I don't really know the pros and cons to the CMD series. I have read the CMD thread but have not seen any input comparing it to the CMD series.

Who has what, and why do you like it. Even if it is based off of the X1 MKII video floating around.
    13" MBP | Xone DB2 | Kontrol X1 MK2 | 2 X Denon DN-S3700 | NUmark TTX| NI MASCHINE MK2 | ABLETON PUSH

Tech Mentor

Which CMD controllers would you get? Need to know that to make a comparison.

Here in the UK you can get 3 CMD controllers for the same price as 2 NI ones... would you get 2 or 3?

For Traktor?
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

DJTT #1 setup pimp 2012

If you can afford it, I would personally go for two X1 MK2's and a real mixer with integrated sound card.

The X1 MK2's are great (I just upgraded from MK1's a week ago), and are purpose built for Traktor by the manufacturer of the software... the integration is flawless.

Why no Z1? It's neat looking, but nothing beats the feel of a "real" DJ mixer. It's also more versatile, if you ever want to play with others they can plug in their gear and play with you. Something like the DJM-900 is expensive, but so so nice.

I have also heard reports of some people being unhappy with the sound quality out of Traktors software mixer versus using an outboard mixer.

I like the X1 mk2 a lot. It's all the deck control you would need for two decks for mixing (but not for scratching / beat juggling). I agree with Ryan that a proper mixer is better than either the Z1 or a comparable controller. However, I disagree that you need two to start off with - you can grab one and then decide if you would like a second one.

DJTT #1 setup pimp 2012

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    I like the X1 mk2 a lot. It's all the deck control you would need for two decks for mixing (but not for scratching / beat juggling). I agree with Ryan that a proper mixer is better than either the Z1 or a comparable controller. However, I disagree that you need two to start off with - you can grab one and then decide if you would like a second one.
    You can certainly make do with just one.

It's nice to have the physicality of "left-right" though

I think the Z1 has had some very unfair criticism since it launched. No, it doesn't feel like a hardware mixer; but it doesn't really need to. For me, it just emphasizes the whole "modular" feel. If you're using modular controllers with a "real" mixer it feels - to me - like the modular controllers are second class citizens compared to the mixer; with the Z1, it feels like your entire setup is on the same level.

'tis awesome.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    I think the Z1 has had some very unfair criticism since it launched. No, it doesn't feel like a hardware mixer; but it doesn't really need to. For me, it just emphasizes the whole "modular" feel. If you're using modular controllers with a "real" mixer it feels - to me - like the modular controllers are second class citizens compared to the mixer; with the Z1, it feels like your entire setup is on the same level.

'tis awesome.
    Is there any reason to get a Z1 over an MM1 though? Unless you plan on using it with TDJ of course. The MM1 is cheaper, 4 channel, powered USB hub, dedicated filter and transport controls. If I was just starting out and wanted a budget modular set up, the CMD line is hard to beat.

Tech Guru

The MM1 + Audio 2 is only £20 more than the Z1, and gives you full Traktor Pro as well as the extra channels and hub.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by b1sh0p View Post
    Is there any reason to get a Z1 over an MM1 though? Unless you plan on using it with TDJ of course. The MM1 is cheaper, 4 channel, powered USB hub, dedicated filter and transport controls. If I was just starting out and wanted a budget modular set up, the CMD line is hard to beat.
    Build quality and audio interface. The Z1's AI is pretty awesome; got mine down to around 5ms at my residency last Saturday; plus the oversized filter knobs (with the toggle buttons) are great for me as I primarily use HPF/LPF for transitions.

Don't get me wrong; the CMD line are still good products, but the Z1 has the edge as a mixer.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast