New Mixers

Thread: New Mixers

Default New Mixers

Hey Guys.
    Well finally we are almost in a position to start investing in some serious kit for the crew, yay. Looking at some mixers and PA systems at the moment and have narrowed mixers down to either the A&H xone 62 or the 92. The 92 is about a grand dearer but that one has midi capabilities i think. My vote was for the 62 as with 4 of us playing with different gear its a pain in the ass swapping cables over whilst drunk! I was wondering if anyone had some thoughts on this...? cheers, j
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

Default midi mixers

I am almost certain the Xone 62 & 92 are not Midi assignable. Both have a usb port on the back....but I think its more for recording out into a computer.

I did some extensive searching resently regarding midi assignable mixers and there seems to be a hole in this particular market.

Companies like A&H, Numark, Vestax, Rane etc seem to think that most DJs prefer to use an analoge mixer while using DJ Software externaly. So their offerings seem to lack Midi for the most part. Some do have limited Midi capabilities where maybe the top section of the mixer has a couple Midi assignable knobs and buttons, but beyond that they are mostly just a standard analoge mixer. You have to be careful because its not something these companies are too clear about while listing the features of thier mixers. SO as a rule, unless it says "Midi Assignable" chances are, it is not. And if it does say "Midi Assignable" make sure you read the manual and find out how much of it acually IS "Midi Assignable".

Then there is units like the Rane TTM 56S 2-Channel Mixer (which is BEATIFUL)....but it only works with Serato because its using some wacky 3rd Party Software to translate the midi data into midi data that only Serato understands. Same goes for the Stanton SCS 1m mixer...however the SCS has a bit more functionallity because it has can work with Traktor while using their preset & a Traktor TSI. But the SCS is still a propriatory unit because you need a 3rd party software to run it (Bomes...cough) and currently there is no ThRU preset to map it as a genral mid controller...but according to Stanton, one is in the works, which by Stanton's turn aound time history, should be hitting the maket somewere around the year 2015.

Honestly I think its complete insanity (and selfishly money motivated) for these companies to make a midi controller that can only work with a specific software....or force you to use a 3rd party software to implement simple midi commands. Its really a step backwards and and quite retarted IMO.

So that basically leaves you with 3 choices....(1) M-Audio (cough) X-Session Pro (which has no LED feedback and comparitively is built like a Fisher Price Toy), the Behringer DDM4000 & the Vestax VCM-100 (which is too wide to be a viable option for most DJs). All 3 are general mid assignable. And all are on complete sides of the spectrum.

Personally I own the DDM and im amazed at how much mapping ability you have with this unit. And it has full LED feedback.

Just wanted to pass this along because it took me forever to figure out that.....just because there is a USB connection in the back of these mixers....it DOESNT mean they are Midi Assignable....
    Last edited by thictool; 09-22-2009 at 01:29 AM.

Thanks for your thoughts man. Actually i prefer to mix externally, although have had a little go at programming the djm 700 but its a lot of stuffing around esp when we dont own the damn thing! I was looking at getting the DDM for myself but looks like little brother wants to go ahead and get us a mixer in the next month or so, and will have around 3-4k budget by then. Will have a look at the ones you have mentioned also dude.
    The reason i was keen on the xone 62 is that we would have 4-6 djs all using the main mixer, and having the 6 channels available would definitely be a big help, regardless of whether its midi or not. Also, when it comes time for me to upgrade controllers (i have a bad habit of thrashing the little plastic beauties) i was thinking of getting a pair of those xone 1D's or those stanton scs's to slap on the side or something.
    cheers
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

pioneer... x1000. ive played on the zones, honestly i really prefer a djm 800 or something like that.

what about korg zero series? they are midi assignable...
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Zero 4 all the way, 4 channels + midi for miles

That korg looks pretty mint. Only 4 channels but midi assignable and $300 cheaper than the 62.

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    Only 4 channels
    Korg Zero 8?
    < Progressive | Trance | Full On Psy | Liquid DnB >
    < Xone:1D:22:2D + Vestax PadOne >

Quote Originally Posted by thictool View Post
    And if it does say "Midi Assignable" make sure you read the manual and find out how much of it acually IS "Midi Assignable".
    +1 - cant stress this enough !