Is my turntable dead already?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Is my turntable dead already?

Video will explain everything.

Tech Mentor

It could use a calibration but as long as it holds the pitch it's fine.

you will rarely ever stop the platter from moving... If you're scratching you shouldn't press hard enough to stop the record it should always be turning.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by b1sh0p View Post
    It could use a calibration but as long as it holds the pitch it's fine.
    Hmm..how could I calibrate it better?

It's difficult to see in the video, but it LOOKS like the issue isn't the platter at all, but the slipmat/needle.

If the slipmat is too slippy, it'll take longer for friction to spin the record up to speed; likewise, if the needle is pressing too hard on the record, that'll create additional friction which the slipmat has to work harder to overcome... by looking at the dots around the edge of the platter, it seems as though they're both spinning at roughly the same speed.

Swap your slipmats over and see if the issue moves to the other deck, and if not then try moving the counterweight backwards on the tonearm (away from the pivot point).
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    It's difficult to see in the video, but it LOOKS like the issue isn't the platter at all, but the slipmat/needle.

If the slipmat is too slippy, it'll take longer for friction to spin the record up to speed; likewise, if the needle is pressing too hard on the record, that'll create additional friction which the slipmat has to work harder to overcome... by looking at the dots around the edge of the platter, it seems as though they're both spinning at roughly the same speed.

Swap your slipmats over and see if the issue moves to the other deck, and if not then try moving the counterweight backwards on the tonearm (away from the pivot point).
    I use butterugz, no slipmats.

I was told there is a a brake adjust hole with a +- marking to allow you to adjust the start and stop times of the platter with a screwdriver, but mine turntables have a "pitch adjust" and "DD speed", should I rotate to the + at the DD speed to make it start/stop faster?

Butter rugs ARE slipmats

DD speed (afaik) is the actual speed of the motor, so adjusting that will just set your calibration completely out of whack.

The fact you're using butter rugs leads me to believe it's most likely a needle pressure issue, as their main selling point is that the friction is SO low. You really need to look at the dots on the edge of the turntable rather than the record to determine whether it's a TT/motor issue.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

There's some great vids on YouTube by this English Bloke who explains, in great detail, how to tune up your turntables. Somebody on here posted links to them a while back. Wish I still had the bookmarks.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

What happens if you flip the record on the right? Same thing? Does the issue follow the turntable or the record itself?
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    There's some great vids on YouTube by this English Bloke who explains, in great detail, how to tune up your turntables. Somebody on here posted links to them a while back. Wish I still had the bookmarks.
    We have the same turntables! Have you experienced this or no?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast