Need help with a first budget set up
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need help with a first budget set up

Alright, so if this thread needs to be moved or there is already a recent one with this information please take action accordingly.

So I am interested in being a DJ in college. I would start out by doing some house parties for free or very low charge just to get out there and actually do something. I have a few things I need help with...

I need to know how much I can get a good budget set up for and what it would include. I was thinking the following:

1) Laptop (already own, MacBook Pro)
    2) 2 PA speakers (12" or 15"?)
    3) Sub (active or passive with amp?)
    4) DJ controller
    5) Some cables
    6) Headphones (already own, Pioneer HDJ-1500)

I'm brand new to DJing and I've just been messing around with Mixxxer on my laptop. I am really into car audio and some home audio, so it's not like I am brand new to the whole music/speakers thing haha. I just have a love for music and want to play some good tunes for other people.

Thanks for any help!

I wouldn't worry about a sub just yet, not all controllers have outputs for subs. couple of second hand M-audio or KRK monitors will do you fine. And those can be plugged straight into most controllers with an onboard soundcard.
    For a good cheap mixer i'd look at the Reloop digital jockey 2 or a hercules RMX (or a similar controller) to start out with, both of which are decent, have all the functions on board you need to start out with and can be picked up on second hand sites for a very good price. make sure you buy one with an onboard soundcard, saves you the hassle of buying a seperate one and it's cheaper that way

good luck!
    HP Pavillion 17" , i7 core 2nd gen, 8Gb ram / Traktor Scratch Pro 2 / Ableton Live suite 8 & 9 / Traktor Kontrol S4 / Traktor Kontrol F1 / 2x Numark TT200 / Hercules DJ Console RMX / Akai MPD24 / Evolution MK425C / Evolution UC33 / Sennheiser HD215 / M-Audio Audiophiles BX5A active monitors

Tech Guru

If you don't even have a controller yet, it's a little soon to be investing in a whole setup.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by Rip van Winkle View Post
    I wouldn't worry about a sub just yet, not all controllers have outputs for subs. couple of second hand M-audio or KRK monitors will do you fine. And those can be plugged straight into most controllers with an onboard soundcard.
    For a good cheap mixer i'd look at the Reloop digital jockey 2 or a hercules RMX (or a similar controller) to start out with, both of which are decent, have all the functions on board you need to start out with and can be picked up on second hand sites for a very good price. make sure you buy one with an onboard soundcard, saves you the hassle of buying a seperate one and it's cheaper that way

good luck!
    So you think it would be better to start out with a pair of monitor speakers rather than a pair of PA speakers? Why is that?

I'll take a look at those mixers right now.

Tech Guru

Monitors are for personal use, not for house parties.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

NI S2 is bargain price at mo. http://www.native-instruments.com/en...or-kontrol-s2/

Decent kit, just need a laptop then and some PA speakers.

Search for best budget PA speakers on here and elsewhere
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Monitors are for personal use, not for house parties.
    That's what I was thinking, so I was a little confused as to why you recommended I should get a pair. What PA speakers should I look at getting for when I'm doing some house parties?

Without disrespect, you might be running before you can walk.. I know you'll be able to DJ/mix just fine after some practice, but you are going to need some practice before spending a ton of money on a live setup.

my advice would be to get a controller - such as the S4 and get a pair of monitors (I use the Yamaha HS5s) and get some practice in at home.

Please however avoid using the monitors to play live or for other people, the monitors are more for personal use, with flat frequencies helping you monitor EQ and practice mixing clearly at home. Then in the future; if you still want to buy a live setup, get a pair of cheap 12" PAs and forget a sub for quite a while
    "We think too much and feel too little"
    K B R I D G E

I would recomend the CMD studio 4a, pretty low price but extreme functionallity
    Dj: Behringer cmd studio 4a, Akai LPD8, Pioneer HDJ-500, Traktor 2

Producing: Oxygen 49, Akai LPD8, Fl Studio

Quote Originally Posted by kbridge View Post
    Without disrespect, you might be running before you can walk.. I know you'll be able to DJ/mix just fine after some practice
    Actually, there's no guarantee of that at all. I know several people who've been "DJing" for a couple of years and they can't even drop a track on a 4 count with sync. Literally, they'll drop it on 2, 5, 3, etc; everything EXCEPT 4.

Some people just completely lack rhythm unfortunately; and they don't KNOW they lack rhythm until someone else points it out to them. So yeah, for that very reason, buying a complete setup from day #1 is a potential recipe for disaster.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast