Simplifying setup. Suggestions?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Simplifying setup. Suggestions?

Hi guys,

for the past few years I have been using the following setup in the club:

-- TRAKTOR PRO I
    -- MacBook Pro 13"

-- Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP (via Firewire)
    -- 2 Midifighters, one for each deck

-- External mixer provided at club.

There is a whole lot of cabling involved in this setup and I am trying to simplify things as the setup is taking too long (approx. 10 minutes depending on how much space there is in the booth).

As much as I love using the MF to control my decks I am thinking about moving away from them to Traktor Scratch with Timecoded CDs and still use one MF for Loops and FX. But this is only an idea so far.

What would you do to simplify without using an all-in-one unit, not keen on that???
    Finest Electronic Dance Music

www.januaryone.dj

Tech Guru

Does that setup really take that long? 1 USB cable per Midi Fighter, and you don't even need a hub since you're using Firewire.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Not sure if timecode will simplify your setup. I will require a scratch certified sound card or mixer. If the clubs you play have certified mixers it would simplify if not it means a you need an Audio 6 or 10 sound card and more cables to hook up.
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Tech Mentor

at this stage i need:
    2 x 2monojacks - rca (coming out of the soundcard into the mixer)
    firewire cable from soundcard to laptop
    two usb cables for mfs

soundcard and laptop both require power, most of the time i need an additional extension cable plus adapter.

with scratch and audio 6 i go into the cdjs, need no power for soundcard and no usb cables, dont you think?

www.januaryone.dj

Tech Guru

For timecode you need to connect the CDJ RCAs into the A6, and then connect more RCAs from the A6 to the mixer.

You'll still need to connect power to your laptop so I can't see how the setup will get that much simpler.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

also to get any of the data from timecode to communicate with traktor you need an USB cable from the Audio 6 to your computer
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Try to pack you dj-bag as efficient as possible, so you can continue using your beloved midifighters. It will be much easier to set-up your rig. E.G.: Make a cable snake with all your necessary cables wrapped together.

This video will help you a lot

DJM-750 | 2 x Technics 1200 | Audio 10 | Midifighter Classic | Midifighter Twister | Kontrol X1|  MBP 13"

Tech Mentor

okay guys, maybe you are right, will reconsider the options. however does anyone use a timecoded cd setup with mfs???

www.januaryone.dj

Quote Originally Posted by NoizeImpact View Post
    Try to pack you dj-bag as efficient as possible, so you can continue using your beloved midifighters. It will be much easier to set-up your rig. E.G.: Make a cable snake with all your necessary cables wrapped together.

This video will help you a lot

Always good to be organized, I've actually got a lot of 6*4" bags that I labeled individually with what cord goes inside, and I have my bag filled with those so I can easily see what I still need to connect and when packing up I will have a pile of bags so I know exactly what cords I already grabbed or what I still need to get. This created tons of space in my bag and nothing gets tangles at all.

All in all, since I've implemented this little bagging system my nightmares of installing and uninstalling has become a breeze. Plus I get to laugh at all my friends and other DJs who struggle with their cables and such.

Tech Mentor

great video, thanks for linking that up in this thread.

changed bag content, pre-connected cables to interface and mfs as well as power cables to hub that only needs to be plugged in into one power point, very good points raised. the snake i have done before already, great help.

however i am thinking about moving away from the firewire interface. i have used it in combinations with macbook pro and traktor pro without problems for three years, however now on new macbook with traktor pro, traktor has died twice in under a year.
    alternative would be usb audio interface by native instruments and powered usb hub for both mfs.

www.januaryone.dj

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast