Sound Card + Headphones
    Tech Wizard

Default Sound Card + Headphones

Hey i was wondering what headphones people reccommended i know the Sennheiser HD-25 are pretty much recognised as one of if not the best headphones at the moment but they are a little pricey.

I can save for them but for now im looking for a reasonable priced set which i can use in the meantime.

I am also looking at the Audio 2 DJ interface from NI which seems to be getting greta reviews at the moment. I was just wondering weather a microphone could be incorporated into this set up or weather it was simply a Master and Cue set up?

Thanks

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

The Audio2 is just a Master and Cue set up. The Audio4 has a mic port, i think. If not then the Audio8 does definitely.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Convert

In my experience, headphones are headphones (for the most part). I recommend comfy ones. I have a pair of Sony's from a decade ago that I love, I think they run about $100 for a similar pair nowadays. I have no idea what the Senn's cost so maybe it's not a big difference.

I used a cheap pair of "dj-style headphones" for a couple months and only replaced them because the club manager accidentally snapped the plug off inside the mixer in the middle of the evening. Thankfully, actual mixing wasn't required of me (gentleman's club) and I could get away with bringing the volume way down on one track, talking on the mic, and bringing the next track in. My point being, the cheapo's were good enough for the time being. Just mix and have fun.

Tech Wizard

For now im just going to mess around and make some mixtapes.

If i get a gig then ill buy some headphones, and also a sound card (MacBook Pro soundscard will do for now). All i want to know is if i turn up for a gig at a club ill need a master output + headphone for cuing. Is a microphone really essential + is there no way to use a Audio DJ 2 + maybe a USB microphone (if such a thing exists) as i cant spend more on a sound card.

As for the headphones would the cheaper skullcandy, reloop, WESC etc headphones do the job then?

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Barghy View Post

As for the headphones would the cheaper skullcandy, reloop, WESC etc headphones do the job then?
    I'm not sure about skullcandy, but the reloops and some of the WESCs would do the job. Plus, if they don't cut enough ambient noise out, you can look cool cupping one ear while you mix.
    Last edited by [dvdg]; 09-22-2009 at 11:55 AM.

Tech Mentor

take your laptop to the shop, ask a friend to give you a really good reference headphone, compare and there you go.
    Depending on what you want to do with them, maximum db spl might be a concern, but never trust what it says on the box.
    Some dj headphones are manufactured to increase bass and very high frequency, which helps you to cue up and betmatch but sounds crap for listening to some music or doing anything like production.

A lot of people I know swear by AKG headphones (forgot the exact name) for reliable ones being around 50 Euros, I just listened to the dj version which overdid it with the bass for my taste.

If you really on a budget where you are choosing cheapo skullcandy, reloop, etc headphones; check out the sennheiser hd212 and hd202. They are durable with good warranty, sound good at that price point, and are sealed. Here's a pair of hd202 from amazon for $25 with free shipping and no tax.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-...3652859&sr=8-2

Here's some more info from headroom in case you want to know more and to see it's frequency response.
    http://www.headphone.com/products/he...ser-hd-202.php
    I had a pair as for a while as a backup pair. They were pretty good. I gave em away long ago though.
    A lot of people I know swear by AKG headphones (forgot the exact name) for reliable ones being around 50 Euros, I just listened to the dj version which overdid it with the bass for my taste.
    I think your thinking about the K81. I haven't messed with them, but i have played with the K181. The k181 sorta reminds me of my good ole Technics RP-DJ1200 (discontinued) headphones in terms of both size and sound quality. The K181 does have a removable "mini xlr" style cable and seems really well made.
    Last edited by chex; 09-22-2009 at 04:15 PM.
    3x sl-1200s, Rane Empath, KP3, Ineko, Serato SL1, TS-Pro, RP10s sub, Event TR8 monitors, Xiosynth, Nano Pad & Kontrol, VCI-100 1.3 djtt, 3x M44g, DT-770, Rp-DJ1200, 13" MBP 4GB 2.26 128GB Corsair P128 Solid State Drive.

please don't go cheap on gear. i understand being on a budget, but some things are really worth putting the time and effort in to save for. especially when it comes to headphones. these are a DJs lifeline. when you have the distortion and echo from the PA, a crappy monitoring setup, people yelling all over the place, you're gonna wish you had a good pair of cans to hear what you're actually playing. after all, what matters is the music. if you can't hear it, you can't do your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by [dvdg
    ]
    In my experience, headphones are headphones (for the most part).
    duuude. every pair of headphones is different. *every* pair.

reading:

http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/08/2...dj-headphones/
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    please don't go cheap on gear. i understand being on a budget, but some things are really worth putting the time and effort in to save for. especially when it comes to headphones. these are a DJs lifeline. when you have the distortion and echo from the PA, a crappy monitoring setup, people yelling all over the place, you're gonna wish you had a good pair of cans to hear what you're actually playing. after all, what matters is the music. if you can't hear it, you can't do your thing.

duuude. every pair of headphones is different. *every* pair.

reading:

http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/08/2...dj-headphones/
    The OP he said he's saving for a good pair. He wants to know what's good on a budget in the meantime. He can get started with anything. Plus, if he's just making mixtapes for now, he doesn't need to be too worried about ambient noise. In the club, sure, even then he can still start with budget gear while he saves for better stuff like he said he was going to do.

I will amend my statement. In my experience, budget headphones are budget headphones(for the most part).