Difference in audio quality for cables?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Difference in audio quality for cables?

So I'm buying some new RCAs, and I noticed price differences between different brands of cables of the same length. Is this just like the difference between Safeway brand Crispy Rice and Kellogg's Rice Crispies (i.e. none), or is there an actual difference in sound quality between different brands of cables? Am I safe buying the generic Radio Shack cables or should I go for the more expensive brand-name cables?
    Balls of Steel
    DJ/Producer
    SoundCloud | Twitter | Website

Quote Originally Posted by cielomobile View Post
    the difference between Safeway brand Crispy Rice and Kellogg's Rice Crispies
    i disagree, and in answer to the question; i'd assume so, better quality connection and cables would make sense if the price is higher. but i would guess it's a trained ear thing

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

"Would make sense" doesn't mean it's necessarily so. You'd think the higher price cables would have better quality, but often it's just higher price because it's a brand name as opposed to generic.
    Balls of Steel
    DJ/Producer

I wouldnt buy the super cheap cables, but i wouldnt buy monster cables either - if you can check out the cables that you are buying and try to gauge for yourself if they are good quality or not. You don't need to spend a fortune to get decent RCA cables. The most import part is the quality of the connectors as they tend to be the part that gives out easily when wiggled back and forth through lots of use.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I've been using a mix of higher end audio cables and radio shack cables.

I have never noticed a difference. Ever. I think the main difference in price really comes down to reliability of those cables, not necessarily the sound quality.

Logic would dictate more money equals better sound, but unfortunately, like with so many other things, it just isn't really the case, in my opinion. The radio shack cables might die sooner, but when the price difference is so vast I'm not sure it's worth buying the more expensive cables.

That being said, I would never buy the cheapest cables out there. But I wouldn't pay much more than that.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

i paid 2 quid for a 5m rca cable about 6 years ago, and it still works fine

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Mentor

Basically the same problem as with speaker cables depending on the lenght I wouldn't buy the thinnest ones (ie square mms of copper)
    you can make them yourself too without too much hassle really too. If you don't trust the connectors you might be more confident getting a supercheap spare one just in case and never worry again.

Otherwise you can of course buy gold connecters and then tell your neighbor.

Get thee to a music shop.

The cables there are often optimized for heavy usage with thicker rubber, better quality connectors and sold in handy lengths you won't see in Radio Shack. I'd willingly pay a little more for that kind of build quality. As for sound quality, unless you're buying cables for multi-kilowatt PA amps and driver arrays, there's really no difference.

Alright, thanks for the help guys. I can't go into the store because of where I'm living right now, but I've gone ahead and ordered the generic RadioShack ones online.
    Balls of Steel
    DJ/Producer

it's all about build quality. think about where you will be using them. if it's gigging, traveling, all-the-time use, it pays to have a strong build quality. the worst thing is showing up to a gig, setting up, and finding out you have to run to the nearest guitar center to get new cables before you can sound check.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast