Mac Upgrade

Thread: Mac Upgrade

Tech Guru

Default Mac Upgrade

Well Im currently selling my macbook pro to a friend and plan on updating to a new one but now I ran into a problem. The new macbook with the Haswell processors should be releasing mid-september/october. But I'm debating on getting a 13" macbook air & mini vs a 15" macbook pro. The mac mini would be used in my studio for more production side and since its small it wouldn't be a hassle if I ever had to bring it somewhere. The air would be for live stuff. Heres the prices with upgrades included what would you do? Also I would be buying the air now and wait for the new mini to come out if I went that route.

Macbook Air 13" = 1250
    1.3 i5 to 1.7 i7 = 140
    4GB to 8GB RAM = 90
    256GB to 512GB = 270
    TOTAL_________ = 1750

Mac Mini = 780
    2.3 i7 to 2.6 i7 = 90
    4GB to 16GB RAM = 120
    1TB HD = 0
    TOTAL______________ = 1020

TOTAL______________ = 2770

Macbook Pro 15" = 1700
    2.3 i7 to 2.6 i7 = 120
    4GB to 16GB RAM = 120
    1TB + 512/960SSD = 375 / 600
    Accessories = 30 [Tools, Extra HD Bay,etc]

TOTAL______________ = 2375 / 2600
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

i would get the mini and the MBA, it's great to have a separate machine for Producing and DJing. I have a mini, i7 16gb ram, and it's handles absolutely everything I throw at it in ableton
    CDJ 2000s + DJM 2000

Check out my Mixes : Soundcloud

i dont think you need the i7 on the mac air if you got a i7 mac mini at home.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MRG12EG View Post
    i dont think you need the i7 on the mac air if you got a i7 mac mini at home.
    I run traktor and ableton at the same time when I play live and I would do it to future proof myself at the same time I can always upgrade ram or my hard drive but you cant really upgrade your processor so I might as well max it out
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

Quote Originally Posted by Santos10 View Post
    I run traktor and ableton at the same time when I play live and I would do it to future proof myself at the same time I can always upgrade ram or my hard drive but you cant really upgrade your processor so I might as well max it out

ive got 2012 air i went for extra ram...

maybe you should just consider a 13" macbook pro

always get the larger processor, its the only thing you cant upgrade yourself so might as well get the biggest one off the bat. ram and HDD/SSD upgrades are easy!
    CDJ 2000s + DJM 2000

Quote Originally Posted by lucasmanning View Post
    always get the larger processor, its the only thing you cant upgrade yourself so might as well get the biggest one off the bat. ram and HDD/SSD upgrades are easy!
    Upgrades aren't exactly easy on a macbook air, they're downright impossible (RAM is soldered for example).

I'm waiting on the new haswell macbook pros but I want something more powerful as it will also my main video editing computer while on the road. (Already considering getting an external drive for my tracks, and an external (or a couple) for the video stuff..)

Get the air or mini, but if you're considering a Pro, it might be better to wait, especially because of the Thunderbolt 2 connector that'll be on it(future proof much?).

Quote Originally Posted by johndavid View Post
    Upgrades aren't exactly easy on a macbook air, they're downright impossible (RAM is soldered for example).

I'm waiting on the new haswell macbook pros but I want something more powerful as it will also my main video editing computer while on the road. (Already considering getting an external drive for my tracks, and an external (or a couple) for the video stuff..)

Get the air or mini, but if you're considering a Pro, it might be better to wait, especially because of the Thunderbolt 2 connector that'll be on it(future proof much?).
    Oh I wasn't aware about that on the MBAs, I've got a 2012 MBP here, and upgrading it was a breeze!
    CDJ 2000s + DJM 2000

Tech Wizard

I would also wait for the haswell rmbp, it also comes with a faster pci e interface for the ssd compared to sata, or I would go for the AG screen on a cmbp.

Anyone got haswell? How's it fairing up with traktor?

Tech Mentor

Get the 13" retina MBP and the Mini. The rMBP is actually smaller than the MBA., just not thinner on one side. Remember; Apple will focus on retina more and more in the future, so buying a Macbook Air with a non-retina display wouldn't be my first choice.

Have debated between these two (but with 256GB SSD, have a 2TB external hd) for some time, but the size difference and with an eye on the future (resale-value etc) I've decided the rMBP would be the best option