TagTeam Gig on NYC Penthouse Rooftop

Default TagTeam Gig on NYC Penthouse Rooftop

Just wanted to share a little bit of experience I had collaborating with another DJ with separate rigs both running Traktor Pro. As you most likely know, syncing Midi clock between two laptops and Traktor is flaky at best. As much as Traktor likes to advertise the capability, it blows.
    Ahead of the gig, we tested both the network setup using OSX built in Network Midi and via a midi cable as well. Both yielded the same results.
    Traktor cannot stay locked to the other laptop. The BPM jumps erratically all over the place. I am guessing jitter is the cause.
    So we scrapped the idea of using it and decided to beat match old school when we would switch (and we switched every 3 to 4 tracks.)
    During the 12 hour set I came to the realization that as long as we were staying at the same BPM, I could keep one of my tracks looping at that BPM after my counterpart mixed off of my rig to his.
    When it would come back to my time, to start up again, I would load a track in the free player and sync against the looped track. I would have a immediately perfect synced track to his rig with little work.
    If we decided to bring the BPM up a little, we would just mix and repeat to get back in sync.
    This allowed us lots of time to become collaboratively creative with dropping vocals, drum loops, and 3rd tracks to the mix. The crowd was eating it up as well. (I love the Aussies and Brits throwing the party who have a huge appreciation for the music unlike most folks in NJ where I am from.)
    All in all it was a success without one Traktor hiccup. We spun from 2pm until 3am when the cops finally found the rooftop teh noise was coming from and broke up the party. At that point they said they recorded over 200 complaints since 10 PM. The defines success in my book.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

rock the fuck on
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

nice

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Would love to see pics of that party!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

I want to spin at a party like that, dude if you need a DJ hit me up!!!
    Silly DJ loops are for kids!

I will get some pics up soon

Tech Convert

This sounds awesome, i further the request for pics!

So you essentially had 6 decks going then? (4 + 4 - 2 as beat dummies)

Tech Wizard

Sounds like a good time was had by all. Shame it had to broken up, but 12 hours is a good run!! lol

If the two of you share one knob that controls both of your Traktors master tempo then when one of you changes tempo it will change for both of your computers. Then all that is needed is some minor tempo bends to keep the two computers playing in time with one another.

Nice work on the party by the way