Help conserning live-setup
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help conserning live-setup

My current live-setup is basically just a controller with buildin soundcard, the Reloop Digital Jockey Interface Edition and a laptop running a dj-software. However I'm looking into expanding it.
    So I've made this little illustration for you to better understand, what I've got in mind:

The original setup is still preserved, the output of the Digital Jockey Interface Edition runs into an external soundcard hooked up to another laptop running Ableton Live (please note, that I only own LE 7), which is controlled via my Akai MPD24, which I bought months ago, but quit using because it sent some of the same midi-notes (signals or whatever) as the Digital Jockey Interface Edition.
    The point is that I want to use Ableton as say an effect processor, instead of for instance the Kaoss Pad,Behringer Tweakalizer or likely. Just using vst's/ableton plugins instead.
    The "wet" signal should then run out through the external soundcard and into the venue's PA system, a powered mixer or likely.

I'm kindly requesting the answer to wheater this is possible to do live, and how I do it.
    Last edited by Frederik Olufsen; 09-22-2009 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Image resolution

Tech Convert

Your diagram is certainly possible to do live. On your ableton track in session view, configure the input to be coming from the soundcard. You can then apply your effects to that track as usual.

There might be a one laptop solution to this. From what you wrote, I'm not sure if you had the DJ software output being the input for Ableton on the same PC and just stopped because of the MPD24 sending MIDI to the DJ software. If that's the case, you should be able to map your controllers to fix this. You should be able to disable the MPD from sending any signals to the DJ software, assuming you can choose which devices can control the DJ software.

Thanks alot for the fast reply, it seems very helpfull!

There's one thing I forgot to mention; what about latency in the Ableton input-setup, do you think, this could be a problem?

We'll I think I'd prefer to do this set-up on two computers, because then wont have to try to navigate everything on only one tiny laptop-screen.

All the best!

Tech Convert

I never really thought about the screen area, lol. The latency might be an issue (it did occur to me) but I've never used ableton in this manner. you might want to ask over at Ableton Live DJ. These guys would know better than I. Good luck!

thanks, I'll do that.

You can run both of these programs on the one computer if you want, thats what i do - check out the FAQ for tutorials for both PC and Ableton.

Hey BentoSan, I don't know wheater you've read the entire post, but I do want to run the setup on two laptops.

Thanks

I did read your entire post, you say why you wouldnt want to do internal audio routing - you can do everything you can do with this method if you do pipe the audio internally and get better sound quality at the same time because your not converting from D->A->D-A. It also allows for a more portable setup as you dont have to lug around two computers.

Up to you though, good luck with your rig.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I guess the best question to ask, then, would be why you'd want to use 2 laptops when you can use one.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Hey DvlsAdvct, simply because I want two seperate screens, one for the dj application and one for Ableton. This isn't a question of what is the cheapest solution.

Neither do I want to bother setting up more soundcards to one laptop during just before a gig, I think it is to complex to handle in that situation. Running to laptops will make it more "plug-and-play" I think. Also I'm looking into he earlier post at DJTT about the touchpad controller (I found this one http://usb.brando.com/usb-multi-touc...6c034d015.html)
    for Ableton aswell. And in the end I'll end up running out of USB-ports, and I'm not feeling comfortable performing live using an USB-hub.

Well, but afterall I guess the main reason is that I want two seperate screens. And I'm not going to be carrying around a seperate flat-screen in my flightcase.

However if any of you guys wonder what I'm going to perform using this setup feel free to visit my myspace: http://www.myspace.com/frederikolufsen
    Last edited by Frederik Olufsen; 09-23-2009 at 03:33 PM. Reason: spelling and gramma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast