Stop calling it Deep House - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo21 View Post
    The Ibizan Balearic style was this. Alfredo did this kind of thing. 1987 and 1988 were great years there.

You find a real mixture of House styles in the Deep House section of Beatport, etc, and I like that. It probably should just be called House. You get Garagey sounding tracks and all sorts. I think a lot of Nu Disco sounds like House to me, lol. I don't actually browse the House section on Beatport since much of it seems to be cheesey shit that I wouldn't call House music.
    uh yesss, i know. I wish this style was still around, but its getting a little weak. a few weeks ago I was listening to really old Paul Oakenfold mixes back before trance stuff when he used to do balearic style, he was just straight up dropping like 50s jazz stuff in there, really dope.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    uh yesss, i know. I wish this style was still around, but its getting a little weak. a few weeks ago I was listening to really old Paul Oakenfold mixes back before trance stuff when he used to do balearic style, he was just straight up dropping like 50s jazz stuff in there, really dope.
    Oh it is still about - just this last weekend there was a fantastic Gig with Chris Coco, Nancy Noise and Justin Robertson playing full Balearic sets. In the UK there are regular gigs in this style and its one where I feel most comfortable as its my background too

Tech Guru

I'm over genres...they don't stick around long enough anymore to even build up a decent music collection. To a certain extent its all just a recombination of previous sounds or sounds normally heard at a certain BPM and then they are used at a slower/faster BPM than traditionally.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    The concept of a genre is the most closed minded thing ever created. If dj's can free their mind and just think of music as Music you can literally play whatever you want in a set. Wanna drop Kayne into a dubstep set...go for it! Want to mix some Little River Band into a deep house set...Why not??!!

Genres is the reason why so many tracks and dj sets sound the same, because producers are aiming for the typical sound of that genre, instead of of letting creativity flow, and then seeing what genre their new track falls into....
    THIS !

Tech Mentor

I have yet to find a decent definition for each genre (including deep house!), so I just create my own. If I think it's deep house, I call it deep house.
    Until you give me a better alternative that's it, wether you like it or not.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I have a genre in iTunes/Traktor called 'BUMPIN'.

It specifically fits 4/4 music that is around the 110bpm mark that has a slight funky edge to it. Not strictly downtempo, not particularly rowdy - just 'bumpin' ... something to use when I'm coming out of hiphop into house and making that transition into picking the tempo up (I never play just one tempo from the start).

......I know....I'm bitchin' right..? You all wanna use it cus...who doesn't like 'BUMPIN'

'BUMPIN'

Tech Mentor

I don't get too caught up in genre names because the ill-informed people in my crowds will always call everything TECHNO

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Nice little post you made there. I agree wholeheartedly.

But DJ Patch only plays Reggae.

But DJ Patch only plays Hip-Hop.

But DJ Patch only plays Ghetto Funk.

But DJ Patch only plays Druma and Bass.

But DJ Patch only plays Dancehall.

But DJ Patch only plays Ska.
    the hell you talkin about?
    i thought you play
    "ReggaeHip-HopGhetto Funk DrumSkaandBass"

with liike 14 minute songs each HAHAHAHAHHAH

Deep House:

>