Guitarist & DJ live sound
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Guitarist & DJ live sound

So I'm a guitarist that has produce some beats in reason I'm trying to play live shows with a DJ mostly latin house dubstep. The sound that I'm getting is like the guitar is at a bar playing rock and the dj is a club playing electronic music.
    I was told to process both intruments at a laptop so they blend together correctly.
    I was thinking to maybe run the guitar thru reason for effects.
    Any Ideas, Tips or suggestions will help.
    Thanks
    Ofir

running a guitar signal through a laptop, is hit or miss. You will lose alot of that "overdriven guitar sound". Guitar signal is really made to be processed analog. I recommend running out from your pedals right into the mixer.

Also..."Latin House Dubstep".....troll??

Tech Convert

Default Guitar & dj

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    running a guitar signal through a laptop, is hit or miss. You will lose alot of that "overdriven guitar sound". Guitar signal is really made to be processed analog. I recommend running out from your pedals right into the mixer.

I know, as a guitarist without an amp you loose the punch and feel.
    We play Cumbia,merengue,Latin house,and some dubstep flavors.

I spin that shit all day, bro. Get @ me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    I spin that shit all day, bro. Get @ me.
    dang bro you passed me in postcount, how did i let that slip?? hahaha

dang bro you passed me in postcount, how did i let that slip?? hahaha
    Forum professional, it's what I am.

Tech Convert

Default Guitar

Latin electronic with a guitarist you get the idea.

Tech Mentor

True on both accounts. As a long-time guitarist, I can say that running a guitar direct into a laptop usually makes it sound like ass, assuming you're not using an amp modeler and just have a cable going from the guitar output to the computer line in.

My advice would be to either run it into the mixer with an amp modeler in between to act as a preamp, or mic the speaker cab. Running through a bunch of pedals and then into the mixer will work, but guitar preamps are unique for a reason, in that they are designed specifically to color the sound a specific way, hence why a Mesa sounds different than a Peavey. Mixer preamps are designed to replicate the sound as accurately as possible, and coloring is generally looked upon as being unfavorable. Some sort of guitar preamp should be utilized (either via amp modeler, mic the cab, or running a direct out from the amp if available).

That said, I feel your pain in regards to the two different sounds coming out very differently. The two tones often go together like oil and water. I've experimented a bit just for fun, and found the really weird, industrial style tones tend to work better. Do something unorthodox with the EQs. kill your Low and High, and get a weird low-fi radio sound or something. Basically what I'm saying is, the general guidelines for getting a rockin' guitar tone just got flipped upside down when it comes to matching it up with electronic music.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Tech Convert

Default Dj & guitarist

I did notice that crazy heavy guitars sound good but then I'm scaring off the girls.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I used to have a guitarist play with my sets, we ran 2 mixers so we could both effectively pre-cue, e.g. he could get a riff going in key, I could figure out when he was ready to rock and slam him or screw around with filters and the likes.

Below is how we set up....

For the record we were doing Metal Style Guitar over funky UK house and more Spanish Style guitar over deep Progressvie house which worked really well
    Last edited by deevey; 08-26-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast