Does anyone use FLAC with traktor?

Default Does anyone use FLAC with traktor?

Hi all,

What are peoples views on FLAC? Ive googled and serached on here and saw there were issues at some point, do they still exist ?

I am slowly ripping my vinyl selection and am a bit bothered about them being lossy so ive decided on FLAC. What i dont want to do is have to be storing a FLAC copy and an MP3 copy. Is FLAC a reliable source to use with Traktor? Is there any downsides?

Cheers
    Gav
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Except for the size, i cant see there being any issues. Haven't had any experience with flacs personally but i use a mix of mp3's and wavs all the time.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

You'd probably be hard pressed to hear a difference between a 320kbps mp3 and FLAC. However, I'm all for FLAC if you have the storage space.
    Numark NS7 | Asus U81A - C2D 2.1ghz 4gb 320gb | Serato Itch | Traktor Pro | Homework Help

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoleyMole View Post
    What are peoples views on FLAC? Ive googled and serached on here and saw there were issues at some point, do they still exist ?

I am slowly ripping my vinyl selection and am a bit bothered about them being lossy so ive decided on FLAC. What i dont want to do is have to be storing a FLAC copy and an MP3 copy. Is FLAC a reliable source to use with Traktor? Is there any downsides?
    The only issue that I know of is that the information that Traktor would normally be store inside the ID3 tag of an MP3 is stored inside Traktor itself when using FLAC. Pretty sure that didn't change. Not really an issue as long as you aren't moving your library between computers and different instances of Traktor.

It very reliable. Sounds great. I have used FLAC, but now I'm using Apple Lossless only because of the time it saves me transfering files between iTunes on multiple computers and between the iPhone/iPods, and not having to convert to FLAC/MP3/AAC or having duplicates.

the best info I found when researching the same question was here
    http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....ess_comparison
    and
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_audio_codecs

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Not bothered about hearing the difference, the main reason is if i ever need to fix the tunes in ableton etc if ive got an mp3 i have to fix then re encode which will loose more quality again. If i have flac i can decode fix as a wav and reencode.

Space is getting cheaper by the day
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Been using flacs for two years (rips, wav downloads). I have two minor issues :
    *Traktor 3 doesn't read some of the tags (not sure if it was ogg tags or id3 tags causing problems, most likely the former)
    *it eats the first few frames of every flac i've tried using which otherwise play just fine - so now when I get a wav, I just add a split second silence at the beginning before encoding.

Haven't tried much in Traktor Pro (trialing the demo nowadays).
    Got the disk space ? Then go for it !

I can't get the keys to appear in the tag field when using FLAC, but apart from that I have no problems and try to use them wherever possible!

I've used FLAC for about a year now and have no real issues with it. I hate mp3 quality and refuse to rip anything to it, so I was using straight WAVs for a while. THen decided to convert to flac to save space. Only issue I have with FLAC is Apple doesn't support it so I can't put it on my iPod.... Stupid Apple...
    Tre Tuna
    DJ and Recording and Mixing engineer for live and studio sound
    Traktor Pro 2.7.1 | MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4gigs ram
    Stanton STR8-150s | Ortofon Q-Bert Carts
    NI Z2, F1, Machine MK I, RigKontrol 3 | Dicers | PadKontrol

Quote Originally Posted by fibertuner View Post
    You'd probably be hard pressed to hear a difference between a 320kbps mp3 and FLAC. However, I'm all for FLAC if you have the storage space.
    true in a way but there is a difference in methods used for '320 kbps' flacs. E.g. Windows media player rip vs. LAME rip = huge difference.
    If you have your own cd's or download in WAV you can also decide to go V0 or V2 quality, sounds great and is variable bitrate so less space than 320kbps.