New To The Forum - EXCITED

Default New To The Forum - EXCITED

Hey Fellow DJTT members.

Just want to introduce my self to the forum and say Hi to all the members. I have long awaited to start working towards my DJing and music passion and recently i have had the courage to pursue it as a career.

What better place to start out than a place like DJTT, which offers great information and DJ's with low egos.

I am starting a small wedding DJ business with a friend and we have booked a gig next month. I would like to know if there are any tips that I could grab from other DJ's who wished they had received the same advice when they started out.

Gear Owned:

I have recently purchased the Pioneer DDJ-SX cool:
    Still looking for a mic ( I can grab a GTD-622h for around a 125.00. Are these good mics? any recommendations?)

Thanks in advance for the advise
    rishi

Welcome Man!!!

I see you live in Chicago, a good place to be if you wanna be a dj! Feel free to ask any questions, that's what were here for.

Welcome buddy, where are you from in Chicago? I'm here as well.

At weddings, take requests early and play them just to get people out there dancing. You likely won't get the whole crowd out there dancing, but you'll get a few to get the party started.

Don't blow your load early playing the wedding "hits." Save them for later on the night when the floors packed, but play something along the same lines as those songs if they're requested early.

Continue taking requests through the night, but use discretion in actually playing them. If someone asks for Kanye and the place is going off to classic rock, Kanye may not be the best option. Best place to try out a new, perhaps questionable genre for the evening is after a slow song. Many people will be leaving the dance floor at this point anyway unless you play a great tune. If it gets people out there, stay in that genre, otherwise move back to what had the party pumpin.

Some nights, you won't be able to get anybody out there to dance because the party's full of duds. Shake that off...it's likely not your fault.

Read the crowd and keep playing stuff that's got the floor packed. If the floor empties, switch to something different to get people back out there.

Play a block of two slow songs every half hour to forty-five minutes and try to play a well-known wedding "hit" after the slow song to keep people on the floor.

Most of all, try to have fun or at least look like you're having a blast. A DJs enthusiasm is contagious at weddings and house parties.

Finally, be prepared to eventually hate the songs that are popular at weddings if you do enough of them. I still despise almost all popular 80's music because I heard it so many times.

Oh, and welcome. And also good luck!

haha i think you posted in the wrong thread

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    haha i think you posted in the wrong thread
    OP asked for advice though

Yeah, I was just trying to give wedding djing advice since it's his first gig and he asked.

Thanks for they welcom everyone.

Very usefull tips I have jotted them down. Thanks for taking your time and writing some great tips for me. Nerves are starting to kick in as the gig gets closer and closer.

I still do not have a mic or speakers .

How good are the GTD 622-h wireless mic's. are they worth the $130.00 or so ?

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    Welcome Man!!!

I see you live in Chicago, a good place to be if you wanna be a dj! Feel free to ask any questions, that's what were here for.
    Yeah chicago seems to have a lot of Dj's but I will be honest sometimes their skill are questionable for all the attitudes they show.

A quick question though, how long do you play a song before you switch to a different track, is there a standard for that or do DJ's just go off how they feel at the moment. Sometimes I see Dj's mix 5 to 6 songs within a minute. Seems a bit much, I would think it would break the flow of the dance floor.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    Yeah, I was just trying to give wedding djing advice since it's his first gig and he asked.
    lol, there was also a thread that was asking about taking requests too. hahaha