When trying to establish your name, should you take requests? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Wizard

Well I figure, I'm going to let him do his thing, and I'll do mine. I have a few friends that have been in the general music scene maybe try to network with some of their connections, also working on entering remix contests but those are just usually popularity contests and try to get an online hype for me. It has boiled down to the fact that I don't really care if I'm even known, but I don't want to be known for djing/producing shit. I feel like being the "Best" by taking requests isn't the way to get onto a scene because you'll be known for doing that. Also, it is taking away from the experience of going to see a dj. I wouldn't expect to go to a big time dj's show and expect them to play a request I gave them; it is removing/disrespecting the job of the dj (reading the crowd mostly). I understand that trying to play any gig possible is giving you exposure but when it comes down to it, how many times have you stepped into a bar or small club and there has been a dj playing, you don't approach him or anything, by the end of the night noone still knows his name? He might have his/her name on the little sign out front or maybe it will say something like "Live DJ". I feel trying to get in with the promoters of the bigger name gigs, and trying to be the opening act for them, you'll get more positive exposure to your name and brand rather than at some bar.

if your name's DJ Jukebox then yes

Want to get known? You have to get your name out, and playing a variety does that. It also teaches you thinks that you should be using to form your own style. You will have a hard time getting big if nobody knows you, so you have to play as much as possible. By the time you are "making it" (with the few obvious exceptions) you should have your own style, a style people are coming to see. One is but a stepping stone for the other.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12