Total Newbie Needs Help Getting Started
    Tech Wizard

Default Total Newbie Needs Help Getting Started

Hi All.

This is my situation.

I have recorded music before, but I am a guitarist and I literally played guitar and a friend would take care of the rest. I have Logic Express and an iMac and a brand new macbook pro (I don’t know the specifics offhand, but it’s a good one), I have recorded my own tracks using podfarm and guitar rig. I understand music (To a certain degree) so I am not totally clueless.

This is where I am lost....

I want to start making Drum & bass, (I know it’s a massive jump from recording rock music) and this is where I am lost. You see, I am used to amplifiers, guitars and pedal boards, where as now it seems to be drum machines and samplers.

I have been searching Google high and low, but without prior knowledge of producing electronic music, it is all very confusing.

Based on the research I have done, I like the look of Native Instruments Maschine. It seems to be a one stop shop for everything.

I understand I will probably need some kind of midi keyboard, but I would just like to know if Maschine is a good starting point for somebody like me making Drum & Bass?

Is there any books or online tutorials I should look up?

Any Advice and help would be very helpful at this stage.

Thanks,

Mattalik
    2 x CDJ2000 Nexus, 2x Technics 1210 M5G, 2 x Technics 1210 Mk2, Allen & Heath DB4, 15" Macbook Pro Retina, Traktor A10....And A Shitload Of Records!

It sounds like a good plan. Drum and Bass is based off of sampling breakbeats and resequencing them, so Maschine is a great idea.

Tech Wizard

Will machine allow me to add bass, synth and fx etc?
    2 x CDJ2000 Nexus, 2x Technics 1210 M5G, 2 x Technics 1210 Mk2, Allen & Heath DB4, 15" Macbook Pro Retina, Traktor A10....And A Shitload Of Records!

Quote Originally Posted by Mattalik View Post
    Will machine allow me to add bass, synth and fx etc?
    Sure. It also comes with Massive, which is a synth well known for its use in heavier genres like drum and bass.

Tech Wizard

This may sound like a silly question, but is there a "dummies guide to" or something like that?

As i said, i am a total newbie and i know nothing about making my own tracks.

Where did all you guys learn?

Thanks,

Mattalik

This may sound like a silly question, but is there a "dummies guide to" or something like that?

Thanks,

Mattalik
    I don't know that there are "dummies guide to..." books (I've never really looked); however, I do know that there are a lot of books available for the various DAWs you have to choose from. If you want my (biased) opinion, I would spend the money on a DAW. You'll be able to load up drum samples, create your drum patterns, add in synths, effects, and so on. That's the route I took so that's just my opinion.

And to answer your second question, I learned in a couple ways. First (and most importantly), though experimenting. Second, I bought a book on Ableton when I made the switch from FL Studio to Ableton. And third (and probably nearly as important as my first suggestion), I learned a lot from YouTube and other tutorials. Even if the video is not specific to your DAW, you can take away something from the tutorial (usually). That being said, I recommend you don't base your entire learning process on tutorials; you want to develop a sound of your own.

There's nothing that says you have to stick with Logic Express, or even Logic. Most DAWs have free trials that you can use for a certain period of time. Experiment with different ones until you find one you like and are most comfortable with.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Sure - If you choose to go with Maschine, there's maschinemasters.com, which is free, and for Maschine and Ableton, in ascending order of expense and quality, macprovideo, point blank, pyramind, and dubspot (excellent Maschine and Ableton instruction and community).

In terms of dummies-style books, there's "Ableton Live Power!" which is not bad at all, the computer music manual, and many genre-specific books.

Thanks,

Mattalik
    I'm classically trained and studied composition, and later, (capital letters) Computer Music in conservatory. Most of my skills in using DAWs, VSTs, and other software came from a combination of knowledge of the physical devices on which they are based (mixing desks, synths, etc), reading the manuals, following the built-in tutorials, participating in the Ableton and Maschine communities (especially the really strong and excellent ones in NYC), straight-up research online, and from nerding out with other musicians. I take a lessons one occasions with people whose music I'm really in to and who is a master (certified, etc), (like Thavius Beck). I also work in MI, so I learn a lot of people's workflows when I get questions like "does 'x' do 'y' automagically when I 'z'?"

Tech Wizard

Thankyou for your help, I will get into a couple of music shops and get them to demo me various DAW's and play with the Maschine to get a hands on feel for other products out there.

I just wanted to get some advice from people in the know, before i walked into a shop, as i would probably just buy whatever they told me to buy without any prior knowledge.

Tech Wizard

Thankyou Botstein, You have been a massive help, and i will be sure to look up all that you have suggested to me.

Looking forward to getting started now!

I did look at a few more youtube vids, and i am surprised at how fast people can come up with a track in maschine.
    There was one video of a guy who samples a disco record, and turns it into a Hip hop record. Awesome.

If its that easy, i will be knocking out remixes in no time, lol (Once i get to know what's what of course)

Check it out

Thinking about it, this is probably really basic to you, lol...Sorry