3 Channel mixing soundcards
    Tech Convert

Default 3 Channel mixing soundcards

Hello all
    i need a soundcard and preferably one thats gunna give me 3 or 4 channel mixing capabilities. I was wondering what your suggestions are for soundcards or methods to get 3 channel mixing (i hear stuff about playing the third channel through the headphone jack). I really don't want anything to pricey and at the moment the audio dj 2 is looking my best bet but i really want something with an extra output

Thanks again

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Well, keep in mind, that the Audio2 has two channels for one stereo pair.

If you are mixing internally (three decks in Traktor) and are not using a mixer then you don't need anything more than the Audio2. The only time you need more than that is when you are outputting those channels individually to a 3 channel mixer.

If that's what you are doing then you need a soundcard with 3 stereo pairs, or 6 channels. So, the Audio2 won't let you mix externally, the audio4 will let you mix 2 decks externally (hence Traktor Scratch Duo) and the Audio8 will let you mix 4 decks externally.

Make sense?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Convert

yes, do you know anyway i can mix 2 externally and 1 internally would that work? could i control the third channel with a midi controller and then play that through the master as well? Or alternatively do you know any cheap soundcards which mean i can control 3 channels externally? (by the way im using ableton not traktor)

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Well, if you want to mix 2 decks externally and 1 internally you are mixing 3 decks. If you're mixing 2 externally and 5 internally you're still, technically, mixing 3 decks for a sound card's needs.

I use an Audio8 which would serve your purposes, something like this would do it as well. I don't know your budget, though. You want something that's not pricey, but once soundcards get above very basic outs the prices go up a lot
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Presonus Firebox has 3 analogue output channels and is pretty decent