88 Key Midi Keyboard Suggestions

Default 88 Key Midi Keyboard Suggestions

So I know this thread might be better suited in a different forum, but I thought it might get the most exposure here. I'm in the market for an 88-key MIDI keyboard; there aren't many of them. The main reason I want to buy one is, well, because I want to take piano lessons and I don't have the money or real estate to buy a real piano or a digital one (and it makes more sense to go the MIDI route, anyway).

The ones I've been looking at are these Alesis and M-Audio models. Unfortunately, I don't really have the opportunity to try either of them out before I shell out the money for them (they are both US $200). I'm learning towards the Alesis model. $200 certainly is not my maximum price but it's definitely in the ballpark (ie: $500+ models are out of the question).

Both models seem relatively new and don't have any reviews available. Do any of you have a better suggestion or have experience with either of these?
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Tech Guru

It's worth upgrading to fully weighted keys if you want to learn to play properly.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    It's worth upgrading to fully weighted keys if you want to learn to play properly.
    Fair enough. But are there keyboards with fully-weighted keys that are MIDI only? Or am I pretty much going to have to buy a digital piano with midi out?

I suppose it's worth noting that I'm willing to pay more money for a digital piano with USB/MIDI out, but that should go without saying. I realize I'm looking at a price tag of at least $500 if I go that route.
    Last edited by Lambox; 08-31-2013 at 08:35 PM.
    LamboxMusic.com

You could scoop a decent weighted 88 key Casio with midi thru USB for $299 this weekend at your local GC.
    Technics MK2 + Maschine MK1 + Kontrol F1 + Kontrol S4 + Kontrol F1 + Mikro MK1 + Technics MK2
    Ortofon Digitrack/Scratch S/Nightclub S/DJ S + Slow Roasted SuperSeal + EV 112P x 2 w/ ZXA1-Sub
    *PLEASE CONTACT ME ABOUT PURCHASING QSC, YAMAHA, or EV LOUDSPEAKERS*

The MPK-88 is weighted.
    Technics MK2 + Maschine MK1 + Kontrol F1 + Kontrol S4 + Kontrol F1 + Mikro MK1 + Technics MK2
    Ortofon Digitrack/Scratch S/Nightclub S/DJ S + Slow Roasted SuperSeal + EV 112P x 2 w/ ZXA1-Sub
    *PLEASE CONTACT ME ABOUT PURCHASING QSC, YAMAHA, or EV LOUDSPEAKERS*

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Abide View Post
    You could scoop a decent weighted 88 key Casio with midi thru USB for $299 this weekend at your local GC.
    I'll probably actually go with this Casio model, The CDP 120, actually. It's gotten pretty favorable reviews and is not at all out of my budget. Thanks for the tip.
    LamboxMusic.com

i almost picked a 61 key casio up at goodwill the other day for 20 bucks. was a rent check though.

In my experience, no weighted key "keyboard" at that price range feels like an actual piano. That's not to say you can't learn how to play on it, nor is it to say it's not a good intro, but I'm guessing you will struggle with the nuances of touch when moving to a piano.

However, I haven't played this particular model and for a beginner it will probably be ok. Once you get to be advanced and touch and key velocity are more important to the expression of the music, you may want to upgrade.