Transferring from CD to Traktor/digital DJ
    Tech Convert

Default Transferring from CD to Traktor/digital DJ

Hi there!

Noob here on this forum, Im just about to move from CDJ to Traktor djing after some years with CD.
    My "digital DJ-gear" is now a AH DB4, NI X1 and a APC40 that im trying to find the best use for. I didnt want to throw out my old Denon S3500, but I'm about to run out of space in my room

I've got my X1 up and running and also played a bit around with some mappings for the APC40, but I feel a bit "lost"
    Just DJing with Traktor is all new to me and I'm looking for tips for a good setup/mapping for my stuff. Hopefully there are some here that may be able to help with some guidance

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Welcome to forums dude! You come to right place

We could share some tips in mapping generally but also need some more input... Like what music do you play and what style of mapping and workflow do you prefer?

This tutorial would be good starting point if you're completely new to this stuff:

http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...d.php?t=113464

Take a time and read trough that and then please come with some certain questions.

The best I have found is that, you have to play around with your current setup, and just after a wee while you will start to feel whats missing, that way you can add that mapping to apc etc etc. Never found a suitable mapping, the one that i could use, that someone else made, always ending up making my own mappings And I think its best way to go

Tech Convert

Thank you guys for helping me find my way in this new way of DJing

The style of music i play is spread across the genres of electro/techhouse/progressive house/trance/uplifting trance

When it comes to the style of mapping I'm looking for i really dont know, theres a whole lot of new ways to DJ with all these gadgets
    What I at first thought I would NOT use is the sync-function and rathe just adapt my normal way of beatmatching with CDs to the X1 and/or the APC with the most basic functions (play/cue/pitchbend), BUT with time I would love to advance from just beatmatching 1 on 1 to a more creative/continous way of mixing, something like Chris Liebing is doing, playing with samples, Machine and so on (for now i see this mostly for techno/minimal)

I did not buy the Scratch Pro version, just the Traktor Pro 2 version since i dont have a licenced audio device, but i'm kind of thinking that I'd want to use my S3500 with timecode and also to be able to also mix in CDs (dont want to be a "computer DJ" just using auto sync and staring on the screen with no feeling of the music)

A few functions/settings in Traktor that I think seem handy correct me if im wrong:

* One channel dedicated to preview/tick/metronome/cue for easy setting/adjusting on the fly without need for touching laptop)
    * 4 deck mixing....Is it a function people use or is it more of a sales gimmick?
    * Waveform zoom and move/scratch function (for finetuning cuepoints and loops)
    * Adjust beatgrid +/- first beat marker
    * Pitchbend +/- (not really into the strip on the X1 yet)
    * Setting/deleting cuepoints
    * "Beat Jump" / Move function for "live remixing"

Tech Convert

Well, i'm starting to get into using Traktor for mixing, little by little
    My APC40 is getting mapped and I almost feel i'm mapping out my X1.
    I guess an idea would be using the X1 as a main/basic controller, and the APC for some "advanced" functions like adding, storing, changing hotcues, beatgrid on the fly and doing beatjumps and stuff. But that reamins to see when i get into the whole Traktor mixing routine

APC40 "dumb mode" vs normal: what is really the deal with this, i'm getting gray hairs about mapping this thing But it seems the "dumb mode" is the way to go for getting this one working as i wany, with the button lights and all. But mapping the led rings is not working it seems, the led rings seem to be controlled from the rotary even tho they are assigned to an output and no input from traktor. F.ex a level meter with the rotary controlling the gain. The led rings are on a CC+8 from the rotary i've read, and i can get the led rings lighting up on that cc, but as soon as i turn the rotary the leds will follow, even tho they are not linked to any controller in Traktor.

The way im thinking is that i want to mix traktor with the master clock, since this is sending modi clock to my xone DB4 i think syncing my whole mix to this is a reasonable way to approach it.

Beat-sync vs Tempo sync im not sure about the function yet, but for me it seems im not able to choose between these in the mix. f.ex having a button beeing tempo sync and say with adding "shift" it goes to beatsync

Adding a picture to show where i'm at for the moment