How to: 'Slip mode' from Pioneer CDJ 900/2000 in Traktor Pro

Default How to: 'Slip mode' from Pioneer CDJ 900/2000 in Traktor Pro

*copied and pasted from NI forum, may be of interest to some...

From the CDJ 900/1200 product description:

"Slip Mode – When activated, Slip Mode silently continues song playback during a loop, reverse or scratch and continues audible playback at the exact time when the loop, reverse or scratch is ended creating smoother transitions."

Something very like this is possible with Traktor Pro. It requires you to use decks C & D to 'bounce' your tracks to. With a bit of setting up, you can make it very easy to use.

I use a single toggle button on my VCI which enters 'Slip mode' for decks A & B. The same button ends 'slip mode', and resumes playback from wherever the tracks would have been if they had just remained playing. Set up as follows:

First of all, the 'Slip mode' button uses a modifier to toggle between 2 states.

An output for the modifier is set so the button is green when slip mode is active.

When the button is pressed and M1=0 slip mode is activated.
    Deck Copy A>C and A>D
    Macro Volume Fader to 0 for decks C and D

...do your funky looping/scratching etc.

When the button is pressed and M1=1 slip mode is deactivated.
    Deck Copy C<A and D<A

...and your track will be playing from where it would have been.

Pros:
    * this still works with 'Load only to stopped deck' checked in preferences
    * if you have loops activated before going into 'slip mode', they will still be still be engaged and playing when you disengage 'slip mode'

Cons:
    * you need a further button to macro 'cue' and 'unload deck' from decks C&D. This will stop and unload the decks. I'd like to do this at the same time as deactivating slip mode, however I can't because of the way Traktor orders macro commands.

* you have to come up with some fancy programming to change the layout of Traktor. I have it so it shows 4 decks full when 'slip mode' is engaged, decks C&D in mini mode when 'slip mode' is disengaged, it reverts back to 2 decks when I unload decks C&D. This is done with some fancy layout macroing that I haven't included here for the sake of simplicity. However I don't want to be messing about with layouts. I want a single layout, and be able to toggle every panel or control via MIDI command.

* if you want to toggle 2 decks (or both decks at the same time) then you can't be playing a third or fourth track at the same time

* if you want to toggle 1 deck at a time, you will need one additional deck, so you can't mix 4 tracks at the same time

Sorry if this is a bit complicated, I'll happily answer any questions on this, and clean up the above as necessary.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    you need a further button to macro 'cue' and 'unload deck' from decks C&D. This will stop and unload the decks. I'd like to do this at the same time as deactivating slip mode, however I can't because of the way Traktor orders macro commands.
    You may be able to trigger these on the release of your button, by selecting mode direct or trigger and ticking the invert box. That way they are always triggered after the tracks are copied back. Note that when you select the Direct mode, the Invert checkbox disappears - so you have to tick the box then select Direct mode - it still functions.

Details here: http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...d.php?t=154951