How old is too old for House/Electro?

Default How old is too old for House/Electro?

Hey guys, i'm hosting an electro party at the end of this month for a nightclub and i'll be spinning from 9pm-3am. It's going to be a predominately college crowd. My issue is, I have a ton of house/club music but I usually try to keep every performance with the newest stuff; top 40 electro remixes and stuff released this year. However, for a 6 hour event, it's going to be tough to keep everything fresh. I know when i'm in the club I want to hear new stuff, however I don't mind tracks from 1-2 years ago neither. I'm wondering what you guys think? I have a ton of stuff that will be good if I mix the new stuff with my year old stuff even.

Please electro/house guys only, no offense to other genres, but hip-hop and the like thrive on the old and new.

just don't play electro all night, start with some groovier house, then some more dance orientated house when people start to dance. for the peak play some mainroom electro and finish with progressive tech house. If you do that you will have a wide spectrum of music to choose from and will take the crowd up on intensity towards mainroom electro without wearing them out. To finish go back down to tech house to end the night. But in answer to your original question most of your set should be recent to within about the last year, but it's always good to hear a couple of classic anthems in the mix, as most people attending will know them even if they don't really follow dance music religiously. But as always you should respond to your crowd. If they only respond to songs from two years ago that all have vocals.. That's what you should continue playing.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    just don't play electro all night, start with some groovier house, then some more dance orientated house when people start to dance. for the peak play some mainroom electro and finish with progressive tech house. If you do that you will have a wide spectrum of music to choose from and will take the crowd up on intensity towards mainroom electro without wearing them out. To finish go back down to tech house to end the night. But in answer to your original question most of your set should be recent to within about the last year, but it's always good to hear a couple of classic anthems in the mix, as most people attending will know them even if they don't really follow dance music religiously. But as always you should respond to your crowd. If they only respond to songs from two years ago that all have vocals.. That's what you should continue playing.
    Thanks for your input! I was thinking the same thing, I have a great set ready for it that i'm just going to tweak a bit and obviously add some things, I was just curious what other DJs had to say on it. I know when i'm at a club or a bar even and I have to hear 'levels' I roll my eyes, but most people eat that up, even 2 years later. So I think i'll have some stuff in there to keep everybody involved not just the dance scene followers.

I think a lot depends on if the tune was flogged to death when it was released ie. Levels, Rattle etc..

Otherwise it doesn't really matter at all in my opinion. Good music is still good music whether it was released 10 years ago or yesterday.

Regularly drop 10+ year old tracks if it fits do it is my take on it

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Altercation View Post
    Hey guys, i'm hosting an electro party at the end of this month for a nightclub and i'll be spinning from 9pm-3am. It's going to be a predominately college crowd. My issue is, I have a ton of house/club music but I usually try to keep every performance with the newest stuff; top 40 electro remixes and stuff released this year. However, for a 6 hour event, it's going to be tough to keep everything fresh. I know when i'm in the club I want to hear new stuff, however I don't mind tracks from 1-2 years ago neither. I'm wondering what you guys think? I have a ton of stuff that will be good if I mix the new stuff with my year old stuff even.

Please electro/house guys only, no offense to other genres, but hip-hop and the like thrive on the old and new.
    I like to play my older stuff at the start of the night. Nothing to heavy but enough to get people in the mood and then build up to more recent bangers! Even look at finding some remixes in the same genre of some of the older tracks you have...still familar to the crowd but allows for more options

I've been told that Levels make the ladies move.

Chill house, funky house, top 40 house, electro house. In that order imo.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.