A quick question for turntablists & scratch deejays
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A quick question for turntablists & scratch deejays

First off: Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    I recenty bought a couple of second hand Numark tt200 with the straight tonearms and the numark CC-1 elements.
    I want to use them mainly for scratching (timecode and normal vynil) but i am having some trouble finding a good reference/settings tutorial for the tonearms. The manual is kind of vague and most sites i find all say something different. anybody here have the same (or similar) tables and can recommend settings? or know of a good tutorial to do it myself?
    HP Pavillion 17" , i7 core 2nd gen, 8Gb ram / Traktor Scratch Pro 2 / Ableton Live suite 8 & 9 / Traktor Kontrol S4 / Traktor Kontrol F1 / 2x Numark TT200 / Hercules DJ Console RMX / Akai MPD24 / Evolution MK425C / Evolution UC33 / Sennheiser HD215 / M-Audio Audiophiles BX5A active monitors

I mean specificly for the straight tonearms
    HP Pavillion 17" , i7 core 2nd gen, 8Gb ram / Traktor Scratch Pro 2 / Ableton Live suite 8 & 9 / Traktor Kontrol S4 / Traktor Kontrol F1 / 2x Numark TT200 / Hercules DJ Console RMX / Akai MPD24 / Evolution MK425C / Evolution UC33 / Sennheiser HD215 / M-Audio Audiophiles BX5A active monitors

Just get them as well set as possible - trial and error. Balance them so that they are perfectly level, then add the suggested amount of weight for the CC-1's. Then (maybe...) add a little extra weight to compensate for your learning.

When you are starting out, no matter how well you calibrate and set your turntables, you are going to get skips and jumps. That's just you learning to scratch.

Good luck!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

thanks for the reply so i just set the cc-1s to the max needle pressure then as long as i'm learning? (being 6 grams according to specs, suggested is 3-6 gr)

Whatever works for you - just be aware that at 6g you MAY cause damage to your records with repeated scratching.

It's not really a big issue with timecode vinyl ('cos you can just use different parts of the record every time you scratch) but on real vinyl, scratching/cueing the same part of the record over and over again with 6g force is gonna cause irrepairable damage to your wax.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy

what would you suggest then as a sort of max? so i won't see curls of vynil coming of haha
    Last edited by Rip van Winkle; 09-03-2013 at 07:30 AM.

The max you should use at any time is the MINIMUM force that you can scratch at without the needle jumping.

Start at 5 or 6g, and then adjust downwards until you reach that minimum weight where you can scratch without jumps.

As you get better, and you get a softer touch, you'll be able to reduce the weight on the tonearm.

will try it like you suggest. thanks a lot for this insight! very much appreciated

No problem. If you're going to learn howto scratch/juggle, I suggest you get hold of the Run-DMC track, Peter Piper. It's an ABSOLUTE CLASSIC turntablist track, and it has a line inthe first verse that you're gonna love to scratch:

Quote Originally Posted by Run-DMC - Peter Piper
    Now Peter Piper picked peppers but Run rocked rhymes
    Humpty Dumpty fell down that's his hard time
    Jack B. Nimble what nimble and he was quick
    But Jam Master cut faster Jack's on Jay's dick
    Now Little Bo Peep cold lost her sheep
    And Rip van Winkle fell the hell asleep
    And Alice chillin somewhere in Wonderland
    Jack's servin Jill a bucket in his hand
    And Jam Master Jay's making out our sound
    The turntables might wobble but they don't fall down

hahaha i know the song and yes i will definitly try that! good looking out man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast