get new laptop or upgrade old laptop...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default get new laptop or upgrade old laptop...

HI all,

been awhile since ive been in DJTT forums... hoping that some members can help me decide my future purchases... i have a late 2008 15inch MacBook Pro... mostly stock... had no problems till now playing out with it... few glitches nuthin major tho... so the million dollar question is should i just keep rockin with this machine and upgrade the hardisk? looking at some SSD drives to install... primary use will be just traktor and surfin the net... how long u guys think i can squeeze outta this laptop (with juz upgrading the HDD) before the latest software catches up with hardware?

OR save some headache and just get a new machine thank you in advance

Tech Guru

An SSD won't help with audio glitches if that's what you're getting.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

2008 is getting pretty dated... laptops don't last forever. I would look at getting a new machine.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

Tech Mentor

SSD in a 2008 system? It'll fit, but will likely get bottlenecked to hell by the SATA controller. I don't think that's really the best way to go. If you were gonna say the RAM, I'd say perhaps. But 2008 is some dated hardware, as brocklambert stated. May be time to start looking at an upgrade. I just had to finally retire my BlackBook froom 2007/8(?) after the battery became so shot it had to stay on the charger or would shut down.

IT FELT LIKE I LOST MY BEST FRIEND!!!!!!!
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

thank you for the replies guys... i know my current laptop is old just cant justify dropping a couple of grand on a new machine at the moment since my current one is working fine.... was just thinking that with upgrading ram or to a new hdd ill be able to at least use the machine a few more years... oh well i guess ill start looking at the apple website and start saving for a new machine...

cheers

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbz View Post
    thank you for the replies guys... i know my current laptop is old just cant justify dropping a couple of grand on a new machine at the moment since my current one is working fine.... was just thinking that with upgrading ram or to a new hdd ill be able to at least use the machine a few more years... oh well i guess ill start looking at the apple website and start saving for a new machine...

cheers
    The MacBookPro has to be updated. So don´t buy right now! I´m waiting for this moment and saving every cash for that day. With my MacBook 1,1 I´m stuck on Traktor 1.2.7.

MacBookPro 11,1 | i5 2,4GHz | 16 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD
    MacOSX 10.15.x | TraktorPro 3.x | VCI-100 SE FW 1.4 | VCI-400 SE (EGE)

Tech Guru

Wait for Haswell before buying any laptop.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

Upgrade your RAM, does wonders and is by far the cheapest solution.

Tech Wizard

Default get new laptop or upgrade old laptop...

So I have a 2010 modeled MacBook Pro with the latest updated software I only have 4 GB Of ram and I'm Wondering do I need a new comp?? I hope not... I was just thinking of updating the ram to 6gb.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by KarbonNY View Post
    So I have a 2010 modeled MacBook Pro with the latest updated software I only have 4 GB Of ram and I'm Wondering do I need a new comp?? I hope not... I was just thinking of updating the ram to 6gb.
    Upgrade to 8gb not 6 and 2010 is still more than useable in my eyes I personally at home run traktor on a 2006 macpro desktop without issues and when I'm out and about I use a 2011 MacBook Pro with 8gb ram

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast