Need Tips on External Mixing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Need Tips on External Mixing

After a while of trying to figure out how I want to upgrade my set up I have come to realize I want to go with external mixing. I have recently read Ean Golden's article on it. I'm still unsure how it actually works. I'm thinking about getting a Traktor Audio 6 but I'm not sure how I would route my Decks through it and how Decks C&D as remix decks would work. I'm just curious of other peoples set ups and how they externally mix.
    Help is much appreciated!

I use an audio 6, 2 x1's and 4 channel mixer. You route decks A & B into 2 channels on the mixer, and for the remix decks you combine them into one output and use another channel on the mixer.
    To set up for recording, run the REC OUT or BOOTH from the mixer into an input on the A6, set the appropriate recording settings and you are Ean Golden.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jester
    You route decks A & B into 2 channels on the mixer, and for the remix decks you combine them into one output and use another channel on the mixer.
    OR - could have each Remix deck output to dual mono, and route them into a separate channel on the mixer?

Deck C (Ouput Right): A6 5/6
    Deck C (Output Left): A6 5/6

Deck D (Output Right): A6 6/6
    Deck D (Output Left): A6 6/6

Maybe?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    OR - could have each Remix deck output to dual mono, and route them into a separate channel on the mixer?

Deck C (Ouput Right): A6 5/6
    Deck C (Output Left): A6 5/6

Deck D (Output Right): A6 6/6
    Deck D (Output Left): A6 6/6

Maybe?
    You'd have to use an ASIO/aggregate hack for that, as Traktor won't let you output multiple virtual channels into a single physical channel unfortunately. You'd also need a splitter cable/adapter.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    as Traktor won't let you output multiple virtual channels into a single physical channel
    Yes it will.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign
    as Traktor won't let you output multiple virtual channels into a single physical channel
    Quote Originally Posted by makar1
    Yes it will.
    I like mdc's response, but I also like makar1's response. But which is best?

There's only 1 way to find out....

harry-hill-fight-ap-wdc5.jpg
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy

To be fair, we're both right. I did a quick check in Traktor before I replied but forgot to switch it to External mixing; internal mixing prevents you from duplicating outputs, external mixing doesn't.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Good looking out. Jest and the OP should be happy with the turn out in this thread!

Tech Wizard

This has been a huge help guys thanks! I'm currently debating on what kind of mixer to buy. I'm thinking possibly picking up a used Behringer DJX 900. I was looking at the Gemini PS-828EFX as well. I don't want to exactly break the bank right now but I'm looking for a quality 4 channel mixer.

Avoid the Behringer DJX, mate.

...but if your budget will stretch, I would HIGHLY recommend the Behringer DDM4000.

HIGHLY recommend it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast