The Little Man Just Got Killed
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default The Little Man Just Got Killed

So I just read and saw the video about serato dj 1.5 and i thought to myself this is great news for serato users it well be more like traktor and that a good thing. But then i thought what and then the little man (like myself) I only have been djing for a year or so i started with traktor and a s2 and i sold that and brought a z2 two turntables and been have fun learning and owning the craft but i only paid about 600 for my mixer and 400 for each turntable thats 1400 and i say i made my money back doing party so its cool. I never used serato but always wanted to use it but when i learned that the rane 62 is 2000 and now the 57 cant use serato dj1.5 i think in my head they just killed the little guy nobody really what to pay 2500 for a mixer and the not make thousands dollars a year for this stuff most of us that buy the stuff have real job and this is a side job.I cant understand why there is no intro price to use serato ur going be paying a hell of alot just to use serato so i guess i'll stick with traktor no big thing i like traktor i just wanted to know how use serato (just my thoughts) p.s. the rane sl2 is 500 and for 399 u get traktor s2 i just convicted serato is high for no reason

paragraphs m8, paragraphs

Quote Originally Posted by Jermele View Post
    nobody really what to pay 2500 for a mixer and the not make thousands dollars a year for this stuff most of us that buy the stuff have real job and this is a side job
    I'm hucking my money at the screen but nothing is happening

Tech Wizard

I completely disagree with you. I don't think it killed the little man at all. There are many options to use Serato without buying a Rane mixer. Did Pioneer kill the little man because thier biggest and baddest CDJ's are $1500+ each? If you don't want to pay the money for a Rane, than don't buy one. Simple. Find a solution that works best for you, within the budget you set for yourself.

There is a give and take with all the software/hardware combinations. I think that applies to pretty much anything you purchase in life.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by sdrthedj View Post
    I completely disagree with you. I don't think it killed the little man at all. There are many options to use Serato without buying a Rane mixer. Did Pioneer kill the little man because thier biggest and baddest CDJ's are $1500+ each? If you don't want to pay the money for a Rane, than don't buy one. Simple. Find a solution that works best for you, within the budget you set for yourself.

There is a give and take with all the software/hardware combinations. I think that applies to pretty much anything you purchase in life.
    I agree with u but like i sad im new to this can u give me a option so i can use serato

Not understanding....I read the release...how again is this "screwing the little guy"? You can still use controllers with serato Dj... I used serato Dj btw and was unimpressed (and I was seriously looking forward to giving it a go, so if anything I had positive expectations going in).

The layout was bland, navigating through it was OK but not really any easier than traktor. Only thing I can think of that it has that traktor doesn't is those god awful vertical wave forms and direct iTunes integration...oh and smart crates...meh.

Trying to use those waveforms to beatmatch was literally the worst thing I had ever experienced. So much so that I immediately collapsed the wave form view to the condensed track overview and beat matched by ear in my headphones (I was using the wave forms due to a lack of booth monitors). The waveforms in traktor are MUCH higher resolution and the phase meter is far more intuitive.

Were you thinking of switching to serato with dvs? Why? "Learning to use serato" is just using it...once...it's no different than Traktor and as I said, really overall unimpressive.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Frank112916 View Post
    Were you thinking of switching to serato with dvs? Why? "Learning to use serato" is just using it...once...it's no different than Traktor and as I said, really overall unimpressive.
    aye, I too think traktor is far ahead. Traktor is just as good and cheaper, but for some reason many dj's and venues consider serato the "industry standard", probably because it was reliable and didn't have a sync button. It's also the reason why I'd like to get my hands on a serato box and get familiar with serato just in case someone bitches at me for using traktor.

Lol serato has a sync button dude.

Theres not much different between the two besides that traktor you can map whatever you want. serato is native so if they happen to forget your mapping in the update(like 1.3) then you have to wait till they make another update.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by despo View Post
    aye, I too think traktor is far ahead. Traktor is just as good and cheaper, but for some reason many dj's and venues consider serato the "industry standard", probably because it was reliable and didn't have a sync button. It's also the reason why I'd like to get my hands on a serato box and get familiar with serato just in case someone bitches at me for using traktor.
    So cares about the bitching?? If the dancefloor is full and people are having a good time it shouldn't matter- sync or no sync

My weekly Friday night residency I manually beat match when I start the night of playin hip hop etc then wen I take it to tach house etc i use sync and add my Maschine in step sequencer mode.... NO ONE cares or even notices that I'm doing it differently
    Technics 1210 mk2 Pair, Pioneer DJM600, Traktor Kontrol x1, NI Audio 6, NI Maschine Mikro MK2, MacBook 2009, iPad 2 with Traktor DJ, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure M447's

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    Lol serato has a sync button dude.
    I said Serato scratch live DIDN'T have a sync button, it's past tense. Ofc serato dj now has sync.

Quote Originally Posted by city_boy07 View Post
    So cares about the bitching?? If the dancefloor is full and people are having a good time it shouldn't matter- sync or no sync

My weekly Friday night residency I manually beat match when I start the night of playin hip hop etc then wen I take it to tach house etc i use sync and add my Maschine in step sequencer mode.... NO ONE cares or even notices that I'm doing it differently
    You are absolutely right on that and I agree with you, but some venue owners think otherwise. Is such a venue worth playing at? It's up to you to decide. Me, I just want to be able to take any gig and not turn one down just because I own the wrong software, I can dj on anything anyways, turntables, CDJs, controllers, even potatoes.
    Last edited by despo; 09-05-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast