DJ's and their Tracklists - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Wasn't there just a huge thread on this recently? This all sounds really familiar. Something about sharing your collection with someone else, but it was basically the same theme.

Quote Originally Posted by jdownesbaird View Post
    Wasn't there just a huge thread on this recently? This all sounds really familiar. Something about sharing your collection with someone else, but it was basically the same theme.
    Sharing a collection of files is one thing. That's piracy.

Giving someone the name of a tune you just played is another thing all together (that said I think there has been a thread like this relatively recently)

I agree with what Kooper said, in the vinyl days it used to be a HUGE compliment and ego boost when someone asked me the name of a tune, heck I'd write down as much info as possible if I had time such as where I got it, label etc.

I just don't get the whole "someone will steal my identity" fears of some DJs.. You're a DJ... Playing other peoples music. Make your own shit if you're worried about that. Don't try and take credit for shit you've done nothing except paid $1-2 and then pressed play on a deck. Yeah I'm simplifying it a little but I'm sure some people see my point.

Tech Wizard

The state of DJing today is very competitive. I have seen people stealing mixes on soundcloud and posting it as their own. Sad but true. Kids nowadays have it easy. If you are looking for a track, you will likely find it eventually. So why can't you get off your lazy ass and look for it yourself? is what DJs think. Djs aren't trying to take CREDIT for making the track, you should pay RESPECT the DJ because you would have never known it existed if it weren't for them. You are not entitled to the info, you must gain respect yourself from the DJ if you want the track title from them. The moral of the story is RESPECT, if you have none then you get none in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Patech View Post
    The state of DJing today is very competitive. I have seen people stealing mixes on soundcloud and posting it as their own. Sad but true. Kids nowadays have it easy. If you are looking for a track, you will likely find it eventually. So why can't you get off your lazy ass and look for it yourself? is what DJs think. Djs aren't trying to take CREDIT for making the track, you should pay RESPECT the DJ because you would have never known it existed if it weren't for them. You are not entitled to the info, you must gain respect yourself from the DJ if you want the track title from them. The moral of the story is RESPECT, if you have none then you get none in return.
    That pretty much sums up my elitism idea.

In 11 years of DJing I've never refused to tell someone a track name...

If someone asks me for a track ID, i would gladly oblige. Every mix you upload should have a complete tracklist posted as well. Trainspotters are part of the job i'm afraid, as well as elitist mediocre dj's.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    If someone asks me for a track ID, i would gladly oblige. Every mix you upload should have a complete tracklist posted as well. Trainspotters are part of the job i'm afraid, as well as elitist mediocre dj's.
    True.

on another note...

I get GREAT satisfaction when I hear one of the tracks I am current killing being played by one of the heavy hitters.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Quote Originally Posted by Patech View Post
    This is just weird!!! The fact that the track has been released to the public means that ANYONE is entitled to the information. It public!!! Just because a certain DJ hasnt "found" the track doesnt mean they dont have a right to know that it exists!!! Especially in todays market where there is so much music available its very easy to overlook something!

Plus youve got the fact that when you listen to something on your PC it sounds completely different to something when played over a big system. Its easy to dismiss something as being lame until you hear it in a live environment!

Whats the point in music if it cant be shared? If I think a tune is awesome I want EVERYONE to experience it! spread the love!!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    This is just weird!!! The fact that the track has been released to the public means that ANYONE is entitled to the information. It public!!! Just because a certain DJ hasnt "found" the track doesnt mean they dont have a right to know that it exists!!! Especially in todays market where there is so much music available its very easy to overlook something!

Plus youve got the fact that when you listen to something on your PC it sounds completely different to something when played over a big system. Its easy to dismiss something as being lame until you hear it in a live environment!

Whats the point in music if it cant be shared? If I think a tune is awesome I want EVERYONE to experience it! spread the love!!
    I'm by no way an elitist, I do share my entire track lists for my sets. I am just giving you some insight on how some DJs think about sharing music from my experience. Usually it's ask and you shall receive, but there are some DJs who are very competitive and this is when you run into the problem with getting track info from them. I meant to say that they are not obligated to give you track info, it's just not good practice to deny sharing good music with everyone.

Tech Wizard

Anyone care to comment on how it can give you an advantage by NOT sharing your songs? Novelty, I'd assume, would absolutely murder (in a good way of course) a crowd. I figure if you share said novelty it will no longer become novel and instead become an everyday song.

no problem with sharing tracklists at all. all my mixes have complete tracklists except for the occasional unrealsed stuff where the artist is asking not to provide the track id.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast