DJ's and their Tracklists
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default DJ's and their Tracklists

Is it common for a DJ to not reveal their tracklists? I figure what makes us/you YOU, as a DJ, is your taste in music and your efforts in digging. I'd like to think that digging would help put you ahead of your game as it allows you to play out truly unique tracks and really slap the dance floor on the ass with some novelty.

>not a DJ
    >you guys are DJ's

What's your take on this? Do you guys hide your tracklists?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrxstxxn View Post
    What's your take on this? Do you guys hide your tracklists?
    Wrong, elitist, arrogant.

Unless it's your song you have no right to not share it. Someone has put a lot of hardwork into that and who are you to deny them their credit. It's not like (most) producers get rich from production.

Plenty of DJs will disagree though. That's just my 2c.

Quote Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post
    Wrong, elitist, arrogant.

Unless it's your song you have no right to not share it. Someone has put a lot of hardwork into that and who are you to deny them their credit. It's not like (most) producers get rich from production.

Plenty of DJs will disagree though. That's just my 2c.
    I can see your point. But I think your reply is based upon present day attitudes towards accessibility of MP3's etc?
    There was a recent interview with Jamie Jones, he mentioned about managing to get hold of a white label pressing (many years ago) and knowing he was the only one of a few in the whole of the UK that possibly had a copy of this record.
    For example it took myself about 3 months after hearing Marco Corolla play a track at Cocorico for his closing set (which had been doing the rounds with other DJ's) I had long suspected it was a track by Mathew Jonson and lo and behold on it's release it was Panacotta - Mathew Jonson.

With this example in mind this surely cannot harm the producer as the mystery and hype surrounding a track which is being played as a 'white label' must be a good thing to build hype/sales when it is eventually released?
    Isn't it the last mystique of the DJ to own certain secret tracks in this age of Youtube transparency?

Incidentally saying this there is a mysterious last track played at the end of Trentemoller's (new wave??) new set on Boilerroom TV that as far as I know no one know's who or what it is. Possibly a Trentemoller guitar band remix?

Maybe contradicting myself here, it cannot harm to ask if the track had been released e.g 8 months ago what the name is? Though maybe a whole playlist is a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by deckard26354 View Post
    I can see your point. But I think your reply is based upon present day attitudes towards accessibility of MP3's etc?
    There was a recent interview with Jamie Jones, he mentioned about managing to get hold of a white label pressing (many years ago) and knowing he was the only one of a few in the whole of the UK that possibly had a copy of this record.
    For example it took myself about 3 months after hearing Marco Corolla play a track at Cocorico for his closing set (which had been doing the rounds with other DJ's) I had long suspected it was a track by Mathew Jonson and lo and behold on it's release it was Panacotta - Mathew Jonson.

With this example in mind this surely cannot harm the producer as the mystery and hype surrounding a track which is being played as a 'white label' must be a good thing to build hype/sales when it is eventually released?
    Isn't it the last mystique of the DJ to own certain secret tracks in this age of Youtube transparency?

Incidentally saying this there is a mysterious last track played at the end of Trentemoller's (new wave??) new set on Boilerroom TV that as far as I know no one know's who or what it is. Possibly a Trentemoller guitar band remix?

Maybe contradicting myself here, it cannot harm to ask if the track had been released e.g 8 months ago what the name is? Though maybe a whole playlist is a bit much.
    Ah you kinda missed my point.

I agree 100% in regards to big name producers/touring DJs. Especially if it's your song, your label etc.

My comment is in regards to me or you... smalltime club DJs, bedroom DJs etc etc. Basically people that got a song off Juno/Beatport/whatever.com and then refuse to share a name (or record cover as I used to do).

That's wrong.

Tech Wizard

I always post the track listings of my sets, the problem is the person wanting the tracks doesn't give credit to the person who showed them the track in the first place. The fact that you like something you've never heard before shows that certain DJs do dig deep to find dope tracks. So when someone shazams it instead of confronting the DJ after his set to ask what specific track that they played, it's like they are trying to under-mind the DJ they came to see in the first place. It's mostly respect that DJs seek, so don't be afraid to try. Who knows... they might even give it to you for free. The best way to go about getting a track title from someone is to give them props. If they still wont tell you.... looks like you are going to have to dig just as hard for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Patech View Post
    I always post the track listings of my sets, the problem is the person wanting the tracks doesn't give credit to the person who showed them the track in the first place. The fact that you like something you've never heard before shows that certain DJs do dig deep to find dope tracks. So when someone shazams it instead of confronting the DJ after his set to ask what specific track that they played, it's like they are trying to under-mind the DJ they came to see in the first place. It's mostly respect that DJs seek, so don't be afraid to try. Who knows... they might even give it to you for free. The best way to go about getting a track title from someone is to give them props. If they still wont tell you.... looks like you are going to have to dig just as hard for yourself.
    Wait so if you use Shazam your undermining the DJ?

You kind of prove my point, yes you dug but no it's not your song. It's not yours to take credit for, the only promotion MOST producers get is DJs. If you play there song and they get an extra sale/fan/ticket sold that's fantastic for them...If no one else ever knows that they made that tune, you've successfully screwed them outta money.

I used to NEVER share my tracklists, but with shazam and stuff I just gave up caring. I figured if people wanna get the tracks and then spend thousands of hours and THOUSANDS of dollars $$$ practicing. Then hey they deserve it! So now i put tracklists on all my mixes.

In the days when i played vinyl and hunted for white labels I wanted people to come and ask what the track i was playing was called. Its kind of great for your ego as a dj knowing that youve introduced someone to a completely new track. and in a weird way its a way of boasting about how great your digging skills were!! There is no bigger compliment then someone coming and asking you about the tunes you are playing. Whats the point in being a DJ if you are going to hide all of your tunes?!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Tech Guru

I will answer questions about songs I just played...but I tend not to hand out playlists. With Shazam & SoundHound & the like...it is trivial for anyone to get the song titles anyway. The reason I don't share playlists is because they only "make sense" in the context where they are played. A playlist created live, and a mixtape are very different things.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post
    Wait so if you use Shazam your undermining the DJ?

You kind of prove my point, yes you dug but no it's not your song. It's not yours to take credit for, the only promotion MOST producers get is DJs. If you play there song and they get an extra sale/fan/ticket sold that's fantastic for them...If no one else ever knows that they made that tune, you've successfully screwed them outta money.
    I'm just trying to clarify the thought process of elitist DJs. What if it was their own song? Most big name DJs test their tracks on the dancefloor all the time but can't release info due to label contracts or don't have a name for the tack yet. If you can Shazam it, congratulations! It's the DJs themselves who want to be unique and not have other DJs come in and play tracks that they play. I agree it's greedy but what if someone downloaded all the tracks on your playlist and became an opening dj at the same club as you? I would feel much better knowing that I gave someone the info instead of feeling like they jacked my set.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast