losing your focus during a gig
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default losing your focus during a gig

hey all,

today something very strange happened to me during a gig. Now I'm a resident and I play like 3-4 times a week and this has happened before but I wanted to ask if it happened to anyone else.
    Bscly I started the night smoothly, played good tunes, but then at like 2am I completely lost all concentration, suddenly I didn't know what tunes to pick anymore and when I did finally pick one I just couldn't beatmatch it for shit and no I did not consume any alcohol or any other substances

this went on for like an hour when things turned back to normality again, but this almost ruined the night for me. Has anyone had similiar experiences?

Tech Mentor

Take a week or so off...

I have to do the same very 2-3 months... Just need a break!

You always co e back more up for it and probably play better then u did before
    Technics 1210 mk2 Pair, Pioneer DJM600, Traktor Kontrol x1, NI Audio 6, NI Maschine Mikro MK2, MacBook 2009, iPad 2 with Traktor DJ, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure M447's

Have one less drink or one less whatever...
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Have one less drink or one less whatever...
    "and no I did not consume any alcohol or any other substances"

Did you even read the post?

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I don't drink like I used to. I used to drink quite a lot at gigs but diabetes came knocking and the drink had to be cut right down but even now I will have one pint of beer at my gigs usually half way (or a little later) into my gig.

If I play a 4 hour gig, I buy a pint on the dot of the 3rd hour. It seems to refocus me, calm me down and is a kinda mental reward.
    It's only standard pissy lager but it always feel like I deserve it and it gives me a kinda "ok you earned your pint, let's smash this last hour" feeling.

Maybe that's just an insight into someone who has had to change his relationship with alcohol but it works for me.

I also agree with the 'time off' advice. I dj a lot and I get burn out regularly. I have to take planned time off to recharge and get hungry for djing again. Creativity is zapped by overwork and tiredness and feeling of going around in circles but then I'm doing a lot of weekly residencies. They can be mind numbing anyway !!!

Bottom line is , don't expect to bring your 'A' game every night. Everyone feels like they do a bad gig now and then. It's usually those gigs when someone comes up and says "great set tonite mate".

Tech Mentor

Exactly same thing happened to me a few weeks ago on a Saturday night.

It was as if I had literally forgotten how to DJ. A really odd sensation!

I'd agree with everything Karlos said above though, except in my case it's a sugar-free Red Bull instead of a pint, as I don't drink.

Just dive into your 'guaranteed bangers' crate and power through!

Tech Mentor

I'd also suggest, if you're a smoker, go have a ciggy. Even if you aren't, put a long record on, and just step outside for a minute or two.

Sometimes just that brief moment of a different environment and quiet 'resets' my head.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Mojaxx View Post
    Exactly same thing happened to me a few weeks ago on a Saturday night.

It was as if I had literally forgotten how to DJ. A really odd sensation!
    Yeah that's exactly what I'm talking about! Thanks for all your input, I thought I was the only one

Now we just need to find a way to combat this, taking days off is good but you lose the money

But I have to admit, I play 7 hour sets, from 10 in the evening to 5 in the morning 4 days a week for little pay (sometimes 3 days if I really need a day off) and people expect you to be creative every single time, it's harsh out there!

That's why you don't let topless girls stand by your gear. Breaks my concentration 100% of the time, every time.

It happens bro, don't let it get to you, your brain is working hard, and probably got tired. Redbull to make you more alert, or a beer perhaps?
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Maybe you should have had a drink or two....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast