New Dj need help setting up CDJ 1000s, with DJM 600. Amplifier ? audio interface

Default New Dj need help setting up CDJ 1000s, with DJM 600. Amplifier ? audio interface

Managed to get hold of a second hand pair of CDJ 1000s and a DJM 600 mixer. I've been doing music production for a few months and wanted to start djing too. with the set up i bought i got two pairs of cables with the red and white ends but im not quite sure were in the mixer they have to be plugged in and my main problem is connecting my speakers. I havent bought new speakers so right now im just using an ordinary pair of computer speakers but i cant connect them. do I need an amplifier ? and if I buy active speakers is an amp no longer necessary ?

Also i have plans to eventually hook it all up to my laptop, would i need an audio interface for that ? and if so which one, I intend on using traktor.

Tech Guru

Connect your computer speakers to the "Master Out 1" RCA output of the DJM. Buy a 3.5mm to RCA adapter if necessary.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

owners manual:
    read it!

if you intend on using traktor later on, with I'm assuming timecode, you will need a Native Instruments soundcard like the Audio 6 8 or 10 and a Traktor Scratch license

Quote Originally Posted by johndavid View Post
    owners manual:
    read it!

if you intend on using traktor later on, with I'm assuming timecode, you will need a Native Instruments soundcard like the Audio 6 8 or 10 and a Traktor Scratch license
    Give it up.. He bought a pair of second hand late model CDJs and a mixer.. Something tells me the manuals didn't come with the gear, but that's just me guessing.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Knockout Kned View Post
    Managed to get hold of a second hand pair of CDJ 1000s and a DJM 600 mixer. I've been doing music production for a few months and wanted to start djing too. with the set up i bought i got two pairs of cables with the red and white ends but im not quite sure were in the mixer they have to be plugged in and my main problem is connecting my speakers. I havent bought new speakers so right now im just using an ordinary pair of computer speakers but i cant connect them. do I need an amplifier ? and if I buy active speakers is an amp no longer necessary ?

Also i have plans to eventually hook it all up to my laptop, would i need an audio interface for that ? and if so which one, I intend on using traktor.
    I'm assuming your computer speakers are powered, so no need for an amp if you're connecting directly to those.
    However, I would really recommend getting dedicated speakers for your setup. I would determine what your budget is for speakers and purchase an active monitor set accordingly. Actually, if you're doing music production, you should probably have a good set of active monitors anyway - computer speakers won't really do the job that well. If you can get a hold of a set of Adam A7X monitors, they'll serve both purposes (djing at home and studio production) decently well. Or if you're on a budget, perhaps take a look at some KRK's which you can usually find rather cheap - I'm not a huge fan of that brand, but it could do the trick for now. I used to own a pair of event Precision 6 speakers that served me really well as both studio monitors for production and later as speakers for my home setup - you can actually find these used for really cheap on Ebay, and they're miles better than KRK's.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    Give it up.. He bought a pair of second hand late model CDJs and a mixer.. Something tells me the manuals didn't come with the gear, but that's just me guessing.
    googling 'djm600 manual' is'nt that hard
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiR View Post
    I'm assuming your computer speakers are powered, so no need for an amp if you're connecting directly to those.
    I dont think my computer speakers are powered unfortuantly but thanks everyone for the advice. Also what do you think of my choice of equipment ive bought. do you think I'll have to upgrade soon or are the cdj 1000s still pretty good ?

they are perfectly fine if you don't mind burning CDs, the setup you have is great for learning.

protip: tape over the pitch and bpm readouts

edit: do your computer speakers have a power cord? if so, they are powered