can somebody give tips on how to make better mixes?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default can somebody give tips on how to make better mixes?

myspace.com/mightofmymidi I need help, Im newish to this stuff and was wondering if someone can give tip or two on my mixes and how to make them better. Ive mixing like 24/7 and I still suck! I feel like my stuff is missing something
    myspace.com/mightofmymidi

can you post one of your mixes for us here, say off soundcloud or something? there are a lot of experienced guys in here that would be more than happy to give you a few pointers mate. Bit easier to help you tho if we know where you are at
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

I posted my myspace url up above... i dont have a sound cloud yet so heres my myspace --- myspace.com/mightofmymidi

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Moved this to General Discussion.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

I improved by listening to other peoples mixes and practicing what I heard to learn the skills. That and the constant listening to music - as in active listening not background listening and you'll get better
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

I would love to comment but have to hear a mix first, to be honest no one has commented on my mixes from the forum only people i know outside who are still out there playing regular so not sure i can comment lol!

stick a mix up and i will give it a whirl

I learnt by being taught the basics and working that until I could beatmatch quickly and reliably.

Then I watched other DJ's....and stole with my eyes!

I would watch how they made their transisions and how they responded to the crowd etc.

Then i played and played and played and played, until i came up with and discovered my own methods and styles.

Also.....LISTEN to other mixes. I don;t mean just listen to the music....but listen to how its mixed. Try and listen for where tracks are coming in etc.

Just LIVE it man!

Lately....i find myself visualizing Cue Points and Loop Markers just before i go to sleep.
    Thats when my brain wants to replay things and i get most of my AHAAAA idea's.

Thats whats killer about Traktor. Its more visual that just putting in a CD and checking the time left and calculating how and when your mix should come in.

Now you can see the breaks....and for me....its a hell of a lot easier to picture my sets now.

Last edited by sarasin; 09-25-2009 at 10:37 AM.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Ciar2001 View Post
    I would love to comment but have to hear a mix first, to be honest no one has commented on my mixes from the forum only people i know outside who are still out there playing regular so not sure i can comment lol!

stick a mix up and i will give it a whirl
    i dont have sound cloud but all my mixes are HERE http://myspace.com/mightofmymidi

Honestly, I'm not sure if it's something that can be taught. Not to discourage you, but not everyone can be a mixer/dj... just like not everyone can paint pictures or dance ballet. Technical stuff can be taught, sure, but at some point, artistic interpretation has to take over. You need to know your music inside and out and basically hear the mixes in your head before you even execute them. I think you're on the right track by practicing tho. Again, no disrespect to you.

I'd love to hear a mix and see what you're up to....I'll check your myspace.
    Last edited by Bodega Brad; 09-25-2009 at 03:39 PM.

I kinda agree with BodegaBrad.

Its like playing any other musical instrument.
    You can lessons for 50 years and it won't mean you will be an ACE at it.

Its gotta become second nature. You gotta do it automatically.
    Like drumming....If you think too much about what you doing....it fucks out.

However, all this comes with practice and experience.

A couple months ago, I had absolutely no clue about midi routing, DJing with Traktor, using a Mac and playing a totally differant genre of music.

But i can already see my style emerging. I am not looking at the VCI's labels anymore.
    I don;t need to look at the laptop screen as often anymore.

Just keep pushing yourself. Soon you will see some sort of result and that alone will boost your confidence etc.

Speaking about confidence.....you need it to be able to play out successfully!

Successfully...i mean earning a living off it.

You can't mix half heartedly. You can't take control of a crowd if you not confident.

At the end of the day....you are going to be your toughest critic.
    Just believe in the time and work you put in.......
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast