Upgrade to iOS 7 not recommended for TRAKTOR DJ users‏
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Upgrade to iOS 7 not recommended for TRAKTOR DJ users‏

Email just received from NI:

---------------------------------

Dear DJ,

iOS 7 is here, but it seems there are serious issues concerning audio. TRAKTOR DJ, along with many other audio apps, is experiencing performance and stability issues on iOS 7. Initial testing has also revealed general audio performance issues that can affect some Native Instruments hardware. If you use TRAKTOR DJ or audio apps, we recommend you don’t update just yet.

Please see this Knowledge Base article for more details.

Please also note that an iOS device cannot be downgraded to iOS 6 after being upgraded to iOS 7.

We’ll let you know as soon as these issues have been resolved.

Best regards,

The Native Instruments team

------------------------------

Gutted.

Tech Convert

Here is the KB article the email was referring to:

http://www.native-instruments.com/kn...uestions/1723/

Tech Wizard

That's ridiculous.. The iOS 7 betas have been out for developers for 3 months, and NI just notices now that their stuff doesn't work??

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by avery View Post
    That's ridiculous.. The iOS 7 betas have been out for developers for 3 months, and NI just notices now that their stuff doesn't work??
    Well the same message has come from Audio Bus today.
    http://evolver.fm/2013/09/18/audiobu...ding-to-ios-7/

Also, in those 3 months the OS betas will have changed and the app betas changed at a fast rate. This issue with iOS might only have become apparent in the last round of betas. It may have been a matter of weeks in which they have tried to iron out the issues but if the issue is with iOS7 then theres little the app developer can do about it. Also worth noting that app developers in the MFi program will be bound by Apple NDA so there's not much they can say about iOS other than to advice that users don't update.

NI can't mitigate against Apple botching an update and nor can Audio Bus, evidently.
    Last edited by Karlos Santos; 09-18-2013 at 02:28 PM.

I doubt they just noticed this now. They probably knew for months, especially since they're not the only developer making this claim, but might've been hoping to have a resolution for their users before the launch. Since multiple developers have advised users not to update, there doesn't seem to be any reason to point the finger at NI.

Tech Wizard

Right, but through the beta process, they must have noticed that something's not quite right, whether it's their fault or Apple's. Notifying people the day the final version is released seems a touch late.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Right, but through the beta process, they must have noticed that something's not quite right, whether it's their fault or Apple's. Notifying people the day the final version is released seems a touch late.
    Do you not think that if all companies are issuing this warning on the same day then it must be due to Apple NDA..? I do.

Telling people that iOS7 is botched weeks before launch would probably get NI it hot water with Apple. And I guess the same applies to Audio Bus and all the others.

Tech Wizard

That's possible, I guess.

..although I just fired up Traktor DJ on my iOS 7'd iPhone 4S, and it seemed to work fine. So who knows.

Tech Convert

I use Traktor DJ just for fun, so I'm not too fussed if it gets screwed up. I'm about to upgrade to iOS 7 to see what happens. I'll report back...

Tech Mentor

Is it just me, or is iOS really unstable? I have crashes with TDJ and Safari a lot more than I should. IOS 6 btw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast