Backups and Redundancy (for professionals) - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Guru

The SSD is also modular and removable like the Wifi card, although the proprietary size restricts where you can get replacements.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    The SSD is also modular and removable like the Wifi card, although the proprietary size restricts where you can get replacements.
    I didn't say the SSD wasn't replaceable.
    I did however say that it's a major pain in the arse to open a rMBP and change it.
    Plus it voids your warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Tech Guru

It doesn't look that difficult on Ifixit, all you need is a pentalobe screwdriver to take off the back plate.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    It doesn't look that difficult on Ifixit, all you need is a pentalobe screwdriver to take off the back plate.
    I've taken apart a mbp (non retina) once, and it was difficult when compared to most laptops out there, which have a separate hdd loading bay on the bottom.
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Hrmmm... I have swapped out my HD in my non retina MBP and didn't find it that difficult. Granted some laptop manufacturers definitely make it easy by putting the HD in a removable module/bay, but overall, it was just like any other computer maintenance IMO.

And relatively speaking, swapping the HD/SSD is still the easiest way of getting yourself backup and running, in case of laptop hardware failure.

So. I can replace my laptop's HDD by removing 3 identical philips screws, in about 2 minutes, using a easily-findable philips screwdriver.
    The retina MBP's bottom plate is held together by 10 pentalobe screws (is he going to carry a screwdriver everywhere he goes?) of which 2 are different and slightly shorter than the other. On the inside you'll have another screw, this time a philips one (2 screwdrivers).
    Total replacement time, i'd say around 10 minutes on a tidy desk, with no panic at all.
    Doing this in a club, if his laptop fails, will most probably result in
    1) frustration of not having the screwdrivers in handy
    2) lost screws
    3) dirt and screws going in the fans, which are exposed when the bottom plate gets removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Paka Ono View Post
    Hrmmm... I have swapped out my HD in my non retina MBP and didn't find it that difficult. Granted some laptop manufacturers definitely make it easy by putting the HD in a removable module/bay, but overall, it was just like any other computer maintenance IMO.

And relatively speaking, swapping the HD/SSD is still the easiest way of getting yourself backup and running, in case of laptop hardware failure.
    I'm running rMBPs - it's way different. Also, wouldn't booting from a backup be faster and easier?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    Doing this in a club, if his laptop fails
    If your laptop fails you should fall back to your backup CDs/USBs/etc rather than attempting to open up your computer right then and there. Who brings a spare hard drive with your OS and programs mirrored to every gig anyway?

Replacing a laptop hard drive is only really done every few months/years so taking a few minutes longer doesn't seem like an issue.

If you have the latest model rMBP and buy another one as a replacement you can just switch the SSDs (and therefore not need to shell out for the top-model SSD).

Tech Wizard

I wouldn't wait for the next MBP model, I'd get the model right before the retina diplay models came out - those 15 inch models are BEASTS. But yea to answer the question, might as well go with having a backup MBP. I'm working towards the same thing myself! My backup now is an older Vaio unfortunately but whatever works.
    2012 15" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: 2 Tech 1210s + Dicers :: Traktor Kontrol Z2 :: DJM400 :: Traktor Pro 2.6 :: Serato Scratch Live + Serato Video

Quote Originally Posted by DJLiteral View Post
    I wouldn't wait for the next MBP model, I'd get the model right before the retina diplay models came out - those 15 inch models are BEASTS.
    I'm not going to downgrade. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense - I'm definitely not going to go back to using any CDs or DVDs. Also, If I were to go to the Ivy Bridge models you're describing, I would have to source supported SSDs that were much bigger (probably a very expensive proposition) or I would be SOL in terms of production.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast