Backups and Redundancy (for professionals)
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Backups and Redundancy (for professionals)

Hi Everyone,

I'm unfortunately very tough on electronics. I assume that a lot of these things break for reasons that are entirely my fault. I'm not entirely sure what behaviour causes this - I keep everything clean and covered with decksavers, invisible shields, and use common sense. (Some of you have seen my setup http://bit.ly/1adrar0 and pointed out that some of it's close to water, but that isn't what happened here).

I'm writing from my phone because my laptop (MacBook Pro, Retina, latest model, maximum options, latest OS, latest, legal copies of all software) absolutely died in the middle of a Traktor/turntablism routine on Thursday night. Apple evidently needs five days to repair the thing, and now I'm an electronic artist without a computer for the immediate future.

Luckily, I have a smartphone, analog vinyl records and turntables, analog, brass trumpets, pen and paper, and analog, real-life friends.

Eventually, I still need to be able to run Traktpr, Maschine, and Reaktor, though. I have at least three backups of everything, some of which are bootable, several trumpets, multiple stable versions of both commercial software and my own, and duplicates of most of my gear, but none of that helps here.

So, what is the solution to THIS problem? My best response is to purchase a second laptop. I think I'll wait until the next rMBP update to do so, and just keep my current one. Really, I can't think of too many other options, seeing as I rely on software. I could do a gig on CDJs, or on vinyl (though it sort of sucks the fun of of a DVS if you're bringing all of your crates), or on Traktor DJ, but why about after the gig? Five or more days downtime is a huge deficit - it'll put me behind in school and work for sure, and I'm bound to miss a deadline.

Do you guys run multiple computers? What is your solution, not just for a gig, but for a week without your system?

Tech Mentor

Good question. Recently my old Mac died so I also bought a rMBP. After a month I'd already drop it to the extent of it probably needing new housing. It then hit me that if this one died as well I wouldn't have the money to buy another one just yet..

To solve this I'm actually thinking about buying a cheap windows laptop or an used macbook to run Traktor during all gigs. Carrying around and using a €1730 rMBP for gigs that pay ±100 might not be worth it anymore while it wouldn't really matter if something happens to a cheap workhorse. The problem is I'm gonna need to do a shitload of backing up and I'm not quite sure if I wanna do that.

Tech Guru

I got a white Macbook for £200 that runs Traktor fine. Any of the Unibody models from 2009 onwards should work.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Apple laptops are consumer gear. Consider buying something a little more rugged. Like a Lenovo T or X series, a Panasonic Toughbook, or a Dell Latitude ATG. Needless to say, no OS X on those.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Find yourself a Girlfriend/Boyfriend who has all mac gear as well - Redundancy Sorted !

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Find yourself a Girlfriend
    Oh god - that's easier said than done.

Seriously, though, this a pretty good idea. I ran into a producer earlier today, who was working on his girlfriends Mbp because his own had a bad logic board.

Ableton makes it easy with their free trial, but NI apps are a little tougher.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Ableton makes it easy with their free trial, but NI apps are a little tougher.
    Carbon Copy Clone or Super Duper once a week and you can run your entire back up from an external USB drive or Firewire from any Mac

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    What is your solution, not just for a gig, but for a week without your system?
    Learn how to fix stuff yourself. No waiting around for the Apple "geniuses" ('tards).
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Carbon Copy Clone or Super Duper once a week and you can run your entire back up from an external USB drive or Firewire from any Mac
    Right! I do this already - have it covered - but I don't have the girlfriend-with-a-mac part down.

Quote Originally Posted by Student View Post
    cheap windows laptop
    No way.

Your cheap-but-capable backup mac is a good idea, though, but I think it's probably worth the investment to have next-gen hardware and top-of-the-line (what I was running) as a backup.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast