Traktor Z1 + Traktor X1 MK2 vs. Novation Twitch

Default Traktor Z1 + Traktor X1 MK2 vs. Novation Twitch

which is better? the two module traktor controllers would cost a total of $560 or a twitch for $390 (australian). Worth the extra cash? Already own two X1 Mk1s but want a touch strip and a mixer.

Tech Wizard

I have a Z2 that i keep in my bedroom, but I mix on an X1 mk2 + Z1 and F1 at the local bar on a bi-weekly basis. I have to say, its a beastly little set up.

Twitch is dated gear, also noted for being a bit underpowered in the output volume area, although to be fair so is the Z1.

Id shell out the extra cash. Twitch is discontinued as far is I remember, so if anything breaks you're likely to be shite out of luck. Ive never had anything break from NI that they wouldn't fix, under warranty or not, and Ive owned just about all NI hardware at one time or another.

Definitely had a few things go bad though, all fixed on NI's dime. Build quality on some of those early units wasn't great... *cough* Kontrol S4 *cough*

Being a Z1 + X1 mk2 owner I can speak to the improvements on that front. Z1 feels far closer to a Z2 than to an S4/S2 mixer section (except the crossfader and line faders, Z2 feels light years better than the Z1 faders).

The pots on the X1 Mk2 are also far better than those on the X1 Mk1, they have a really nice smooth resistance to them and are slightly raised off the surface of the X1 now, allowing for realllllly smooth filter sweeps in single FX mode. Touch-strip is also fun but honestly nothing to write home about. The exception is triggering flux loops from the touch-strip, which is seriously awesome and super fun.

TL;DR shell out the cash, you wont regret it. Also consider buying an F1 or a midi fighter to go with it, they can be found reasonably cheaply and make great supplemental FX controllers if you're willing to spend a little time mapping.
    Last edited by elmooso; 09-24-2013 at 03:18 AM.

Tech Wizard

I have both setups

Now I mainly use Z1 + X1mk2 in the nightclubs, and only use Twitch at home, private party, and recording a set. Although Twitch is still my favorite controller that I feel enjoy to play with, the low output volume of Twitch is a very serious issue for me. I have shared my story in this thread: http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthr...900#post648900

Imo, Z1 sound card has a louder output volume than Twitch and I can hear the better sound quality as well

Is there any indication that Novation will release an updated Twitch in the near future? because they have been discontinued in some outlets here.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by likeberty View Post
    I have both setups

Now I mainly use Z1 + X1mk2 in the nightclubs, and only use Twitch at home, private party, and recording a set. Although Twitch is still my favorite controller that I feel enjoy to play with, the low output volume of Twitch is a very serious issue for me. I have shared my story in this thread: http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthr...900#post648900

Imo, Z1 sound card has a louder output volume than Twitch and I can hear the better sound quality as well

If you really love the twitch just grab another audio interface, route your audio through it and just use the twitch as a control surface. Can be done fairly cheaply (assuming you're using it to control Traktor)
    Last edited by elmooso; 10-05-2013 at 01:27 AM.